Property Purchased for Forbes Expansion Project
To appropriately serve an increasing number of students, and to enhance the Uptown neighborhood, Duquesne University has purchased two acres of property along Forbes Avenue. The land will be used for commercial and educational purposes, improving both the entrance to campus and the Forbes Avenue corridor.
Duquesne is collaborating with the City of Pittsburgh and community groups to design the expansion so that its components meet the needs of students, the Uptown neighborhood and those who visit Pittsburgh for business and entertainment.
The mixed-use nature of the expansion – commercial and educational – will increase the already significant economic impact the University has on the region, which is estimated at more than $300 million annually. The University will collaborate with private partners to complete the development in phases.
- The full plan represents one of the largest construction project in nearly two decades for Duquesne University, the expansion has the potential to house between 500,000-700,000 square feet.
- Spaces that have already been determined include a bookstore, coffeehouse, new fitness and recreation center, offices for the athletics department, and a conference center/ballroom, as well as new classrooms and other academic uses.
- Additional preferred commercial possibilities for the development include retail shopping, a pharmacy and a restaurant. Commercial activities will contribute to the City’s tax base.
- The development will transform a property that was dotted with abandoned and deteriorating structures, improving the appearance and vitality of the Uptown neighborhood.
- The project serves as an integral part of Duquesne University’s 10-year Campus Master Plan, which was unanimously approved by the City Planning Commission in 2004.
Founded in 1878, Duquesne is consistently ranked among the nation's top Catholic universities for its award-winning faculty and tradition of academic excellence. Duquesne, a campus of nearly 9,500 graduate and undergraduate students, has been nationally recognized for its academic programs, community service and commitment to sustainability. Follow Duquesne University on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.