Provost Receives Pittsburgh Leadership Excellence Award from Diversity Council
The Pennsylvania Diversity Council recognized Duquesne University's provost with a Pittsburgh Leadership Excellence Award.
As provost and vice president for academic affairs, Dr. Timothy R. Austin provides leadership for all academic aspects of the University's life, setting the strategy for continued growth in academic programs, and responding to changing needs of the region and nation. He is critically involved in recruiting, retaining and fostering the development of several hundred faculty members and staff, tapping their diverse skills and experience to enrich the campus.
The award is presented to executives who:
- Hold extraordinary backgrounds of developing, growing and improving their organizations
- Demonstrate ethical leadership, enhancing the credibility of their organizations
- Serve as role models, illustrating ways to live their organizations' shared values and goals
- Empower those around them
- Build effective and encouraging relationships with employees
- Foster collaboration by promoting cooperative goals and building trust
- Challenge the norm, inspire a shared vision for the future and foster a positive, creative work environment.
Austin's faculty- and student-driven focus is founded in his years as professor and chair of English at Loyola University Chicago, as well as his administrative positions at Creighton University and the College of the Holy Cross.
"I am still a faculty member-a teacher and research scholar-at heart," said Austin, who specializes in the field of linguistic stylistics. "My touchstone for every decision is 'Will this help teachers teach and students learn?'
"I am delighted to accept this award on behalf of Duquesne and my many hard-working colleagues," he said.
He is a Gibsonia resident.
Founded in 1878, Duquesne is consistently ranked among the nation's top Catholic universities for its award-winning faculty and tradition of academic excellence. Duquesne, a campus of nearly 10,000 graduate and undergraduate students, has been nationally recognized for its academic programs, community service and commitment to sustainability. Follow Duquesne University on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.