What Are You REALLY Saying? International Conference at Duquesne to Analyze Communications
Academics from around the world will analyze how we communicate during their annual Communication Ethics and International Association for Dialogue Analysis (IADA) Conference.
Hosted by Duquesne University's Department of Communication and Rhetorical Studies, the conference will run from Wednesday, June 1, through Saturday, June 4, at the University's Power Center.
Subjects include the practical topics of academic study, such as managing meeting time, ethical business communication, economic storytelling and patient-doctor relationships, as well as:
- Organizational Crisis Communication: A Metaphorical Perspective
- Understanding Gender Identity at the Intersection of the Public and Private Spheres
- Befriending Suffering: Re-Imagining the Patient-Doctor Relationship
- Can Brain Wearables Hack Your Mood?
The presentations are arranged under four topics:
- Dialogic Ethics, keynote by Dr. Lisbeth Lipari, associate professor of communication at Denison University.
- Organizational Language and Dialogue, keynote by Dr. François Cooren, professor and former head of the communication department at the Université de Montréal.
- Rhetoric and Dialogue, keynote by Dr. Scott Stroud, associate professor of communication studies at University of Texas at Austin.
- Semioethics, a look at ethics in activities that involve signs and nonverbal communications; panel chair, Dr. Janie Harden Fritz, professor of communication and rhetorical studies at Duquesne.
The full conference schedule, including speakers' bios and daily presentations, is available on the conference website.
Founded in 1878, Duquesne is consistently ranked among the nation's top Catholic universities for its award-winning faculty and tradition of academic excellence. Duquesne, a campus of nearly 10,000 graduate and undergraduate students, has been nationally recognized for its academic programs, community service and commitment to sustainability. Follow Duquesne University on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.