We welcome you to apply for the following faculty appointments:
Posting Date: March 18, 2015
Currently Accepting Applications: apply.interfolio.com/29178
Duquesne University seeks a visionary and innovative University Librarian to lead Gumberg Library. This position represents an exciting opportunity to guide the library as it continues to evolve as a student-focused, service-driven, and enterprising library. The University Librarian serves as the chief administrative and academic officer of Gumberg Library and the University Archives & Special Collections. The University Librarian reports directly to the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs and is a strategic partner to the Deans and Vice Presidents for Business and Management, Mission and Identity, and Student Life.
Duquesne University is a private university that serves nearly 10,000 undergraduate and graduate students and is located on a beautiful campus on a bluff within blocks of Downtown Pittsburgh, a Forbes-rated Most Livable City. One of the nation's leading Catholic universities, Duquesne University provides a well-rounded education that challenges students academically while nourishing their spiritual and ethical development. Founded more than 130 years ago by the Congregation of the Holy Spirit, Duquesne University is the only Spiritan institution of higher education in the United States. We share the Spiritans' commitment to: educational excellence, moral and spiritual values, an ecumenical atmosphere open to diversity, and service to students, the Church, the community, the nation and the world. To learn more about Duquesne University, please visit our website at www.duq.edu.
Gumberg Library is the intellectual heart of Duquesne's campus and an essential contributor to successful teaching, learning, and scholarship through its collections, research and user services. The collection includes over 1.1 million print and electronic volumes, books, journals, and research databases. Housed in a 115,000 square foot building, the library offers newly renovated collaborative spaces for students. Our special collections include the Simon Silverman Phenomenology Center, the Maureen P. Sullivan Curriculum Center, and the Duquesne University Special Collections and Archives, featuring unique collections focused on Pittsburgh and local Catholic history. We provide numerous instruction sessions, workshops, and educational events - 580 sessions for more than 6,000 students and faculty last year.
Key Leadership and Strategic Responsibilities
- The successful candidate for University Librarian will demonstrate a deep understanding of the academic enterprise, the ability to identify and anticipate challenges and opportunities in this transformational time for university libraries, and the creativity to address them. She or he will be expected to:
- Develop and effectively articulate a strong vision of the role of Gumberg Library in teaching and learning, research, scholarship, and service to the academic community.
- Build and maintain effective relationships with key library partners, fostering active, responsive dialogue among students, faculty, administration, and community.
- Serve as an advocate for the library within and beyond the university, creating robust relationships with community partners, furthering regional and national inter-library cooperation, and successfully representing the library to the larger community.
- Possess personal integrity and outstanding leadership qualities that empower and inspire library faculty and staff.
- Demonstrate a record of successfully enacting change and fostering a working environment that evidences innovation and collaboration.
- Evaluate relevant trends and challenges in library technology as they relate to the future direction of academic libraries, facilitating and supporting the integration of new and emerging technologies into the provision of library services and collections.
- Understand current practices in student and faculty research and scholarly publishing, along with their impact on academic libraries and the scholars they serve.
- Respect and build on the culture of assessment in Gumberg Library and effectively communicate assessment findings in service of the Library's mission and strategic goals.
- Foster an organizational and educational climate that promotes and celebrates diversity within the university community.
- Build connections with University Advancement and other groups to secure external funds in support of the Library's mission.
- Earned ALA-accredited master's degree in library and information science or equivalent. Doctorate degree preferred.
- History of implementing innovative library initiatives
- Demonstrated progressive experience in administering library budgets, staff and resources.
- A record of significant contributions to the professional areas of librarianship, scholarship, and service.
Duquesne University is committed to attracting, retaining and developing a diverse faculty that reflects contemporary society, serves our academic mission and enriches our campus community. As a charter member of the Ohio, Western PA and West Virginia Higher Education Recruitment Consortium (HERC), we encourage applications from members of underrepresented groups and support dual-career couples. Motivated by its Catholic and Spiritan identity, Duquesne values equality of opportunity both as an educational institution and as an employer. Founded in 1878 by its sponsoring religious community, the Congregation of the Holy Spirit, Duquesne University is Catholic in mission and ecumenical in spirit. Its Mission Statement commits the University to "serving God by serving students." Applicants for this position should describe how they might support and contribute to this mission.
Duquesne University uses Interfolio to collect all faculty job applications electronically. Please submit a cover letter describing your interest in the position, a curriculum vitae, and contact information for three confidential references to http://apply.interfolio.com/29178. Priority will be given to applications received by April 20, 2015.