Work Study Jobs in Community Service
The Student Employment Program is proud to extend Duquesne University’s deep commitment to service by partnering with numerous community service organizations throughout Pittsburgh.
- Students gain tremendous work experience
- Students give back to and engage with the Pittsburgh community.
Community Service Partner Organizations
- The Brashear Association has long been a vital part of Pittsburgh's South Side and nearby neighborhoods.
- Today, they offer a full spectrum of programs and services that span from infancy to the elderly, from community service to community action.
- Work Study students assist with after-school programs for children, in the adult day care center, or in the employment center, depending on position availability.
- Directions to Brashear Association
- Work Study students may help to coordinate educational programs, assist with exhibits, or perform other tasks at the Museum.
- Science, education, or technology majors, as well as any other students with a love of learning and teaching, often find these positions to be extremely valuable.
- Directions to Carnegie Museum
- The Children's Institute is dedicated to promoting the well-being of children, young people and their families and to providing services that meet their special needs.
- The Children’s Institute offers a wide variety of positions for students, ranging from clerical work, to assisting children with special needs.
- Education, special education and health science majors can gain excellent work experience at the Children’s Institute.
- Directions to The Children's Institute
- The Jubilee Association welcomes those whose lives are challenged by poverty, illness, joblessness, or homelessness.
- The Association offers a health clinic, a job center, prison and prisoner reentry programs, a food bank, and a child care center.
- Work Study students work in the child care center of the Jubilee Kitchen.
- Directions to John Heinz Family Center
- Within Mercy Hospital, Brady Library is a valuable resource for numerous physicians and other medical professionals.
- Work Study students not only help with circulation duties within the library, but assist with special projects.
- Mercy Hospital is located adjacent to the Duquesne University campus.
PACT Program and DUV Tutors
- Through the PACT and DUV tutoring programs, Work Study students have the opportunity to tutor elementary and middle school children in local schools in reading and math.
- These programs provide excellent opportunities for education majors or for anyone who enjoys working with children. Transportation may be provided to selected sites.
- Catholic-based inclusive educational environment for young people with autism, Down syndrome and other developmental disabilities.
- Work Study students function as job coaches to young adults with special needs. Through job coaching and assisting with activities, Work Study student aides help the St. Anthony students to develop job skills that will ultimately contribute to their self-esteem and self-sufficiency.
- The St. Anthony Program is located on the University's campus.
- The YMCA operates a child development center on the University campus.
- Work Students assist with activities and play for children up to 5 years old.