FERPA training is available for all employees. Anyone who accesses, shares, or exchanges student information should complete the training. The purpose of the training is to
- Explain the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act to Duquesne University employees;
- Inform those with access to student records and information about students’ privacy rights with regard to their education record;
- Inform those with access to student records and information of what is protected and what is not under FERPA regulations.
Self-Guided and Online
The FERPA training has been prepared by the Registrar and General Counsel. It is a self-guided, online program in Blackboard that addresses:
- Details of the legislation
- The student rights that are covered,
- The employee obligations to protect the privacy of students' education records.
The training is optional for employees, though your department head may require that you complete it
Accessing the Training Course
The course takes about 20 minutes to complete, including a quiz at the end. Your score and number of attempts is recorded as pass/no pass in Blackboard. To take the training:
- Log onto Blackboard or use the icon at the top of your DORI screen.
- Click on Courses and Communities.
- Click on FERPA Training under the Communities section.
- You will see the FERPA training associated with your school or department.
If you have trouble logging on or other technical questions contact the CTS Help Desk at 412.396.4357.