Founding Members and Early Trailblazers of the Department
Ed Murray, C.S.Sp., Ph.D.
Dr. Murray was born in Pennsylvania in 1920. He received a B.A. and M.A. degree in philosophy from St. Vincent College and Seminary in Latrobe, PA, and after completion of theological studies was ordained a Catholic priest in 1945. For a period of 17 years he engaged in parish work at St. Francis Xavier Parish in Pittsburgh; St. Pauls in Butler, PA, and Sacred Heart in East Liberty. Alongside his parish work, he also taught part-time at Duquesne University in the department of philosophy, and served as full-time Chaplain at a V.A. Hospital with T.B. patients. It was there that he was introduced to psychology and psychosomatic medicine.
Murray returned to school at Duquesne and joined the Congregation of the Holy Ghost Fathers. In 1964 he received the M.A. degree in psychology, and in 1968 he received the Ph.D. from Duquesne. In 1970 Murray was elected Chairman of the department and retained that position until 1975. Among the innovations he introduced while Chairman two deserve special mention; the mini-course concept and the publication of student papers in Student Manuscripts: Papers in Phenomenological Psychology. His research interests were in the areas of personality integration, language, therapy and sexual identity. Murray published various articles on perceptual psychology, the phenomenon of metaphor, language and technology. His psychological thought was shaped by an intense study of the works of Martin Heidegger.
Murray published Imaginative Thinking and Human Existence in 1986 and edited Imagination and Phenomenological Psychology in1987.In 1975 he became Academic Vice-President, and in 1976 he also served as Acting President of the University. He retired in 1994 and died in 1997. The Simon Silverman Center has posthumously published his final work: The Quest for Personal Integration: Reimaginizing Our Lives. His personal library forms one of the special collections at the Silverman Center.