Department of History
Why Study With Us?
- provide students with a challenging education and equip them with skills that they--and employers--will find invaluable: to think critically, to write with authority, and to understand broadly.
- help students learn to apply the methods of historical scholarship in contemplative and ethical ways as they deepen their understanding of the U.S. and the world.
- foster student understanding of how and why humans and different cultures have developed as they have.
- help students become scholars as well as educated and conscientious citizens.
The Department's faculty members also serve not only the students at Duquesne but also students of History, Classical Civilizations, and Art History elsewhere and throughout time by contributing to historical discourse through presentations, participating in conferences, and publishing articles and books.
A 2015 report on the economic value of college majors shows that History Majors have the highest annual wage among all liberal arts majors.
Source: Georgetown University Center on Education and the Workforce, 2015 Report on Economic Value of College Majors
We offer the following programs of study:
- Undergraduate History
- Graduate M.A. History
- Graduate M.A. Public History
- Undergraduate Classical Civilzations
- Undergraduate Art History Minor
Give a Gift
Please consider supporting the history department by participating in Duquesne's annual Day of Giving. Click the link below for details, and thank you for your support.