Applying to the Biological Sciences Ph.D. Graduate Program
Applicants should have an undergraduate degree in biology (or a related discipline) with a basic foundation in biology, chemistry, physics, and mathematics.
Applicants will be considered on the basis of their intellectual capacity, communication skills, motivation, and aptitude for laboratory research. Applicants with serious undergraduate course deficiencies may be required to correct these prior to admission into the program.
Fall 2019 Admission: December 15th, 2018 deadline for applications
Applications submitted after Dec. 15 will still be considered provided there are still spots available.
Spring and Summer: No Admission There is NO FEE to apply to our program!
Please submit a complete application with all items listed below. Only complete application packages are reviewed by the Admissions Committee.
1. Online Application (no fee)
Part 1: In the first part of the application, you will enter basic personal information, information about your academic history and information about your employment history and unofficial GRE scores. You can save your information and come back at anytime to submit.
You will need to provide names and e-mail addresses for three letter of recomendation writers. The system can automatically send requests to the writers (preferred) or they can mail in letters (see address below).
Part 2 Upload Materials: After you submit the first part of the application, you will upload our Required secondary application which includes a (A) statement of pupose (B) a curriculum vitae and (C) your unofficial transcripts. Select "Activites/Interests" and upload the statement. Select "Activities/Interests" again to upload the curriculum vitae. Upload unofficial transcripts where indicated.
(A) Statement of Purpose - Maximum 2 pages in length, save as PDF; Statement should describe (1) your previous research experience, (2) your goals and objectives for obtaining a PhD in Biology, and (3) a list of graduate faculty that you are interested in working with (and why)*.
(B) Curriculum Vitae (preferred) or Resume - No page limit, save as PDF; Must list education, work experience, research experience (Including supervisor), publications, presentations, technical skills.
(C) Unofficial transcripts for all university level degrees or course work.
2. Official transcripts, in English, of all undergraduate and any graduate studies completed. These should be sent directly from the University to email@example.com (preferred) or by mail to:
Bayer School of Natural and Environmental Sciences
Attn: Heather Costello - Biology PhD Program
600 Forbes Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15282
3. Official GRE scores are required for admission. Please have official GRE scores sent from ETS using code 2196 only (a department code isn't needed). A subject test (in either Biology, Biochemistry, or Cell & Molecular Biology) is optional.
4. International Students Only - Your application package must also contain the following:
- Official Internet-based (iBT) TOEFL scores that are current to one year. Please review Duquesne University's English Language Proficiency requirements. The minimum required TOEFL score is 100.
- Before classes begin, International students and any non-native speakers of the English language (including Lawful Permanent Residents) will be required to take the Speaking Proficiency English Assessment Kit (SPEAK) test. On occasion students with exceptionally high speaking portions of the TOEFL may be waived from the SPEAK test.
- Mandatory International Student Form.
- All of the above items should be mailed to the above address or e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org (preferred).
Please make sure your application is complete. Applications that are missing any of the above items will not be processed.
Please e-mail BioGradInfo@duq.edu with application questions or problems.
We'd Like to Meet You!
The Bayer School of Natural and Environmental Sciences strongly encourages all applicants to visit our campus, meet our faculty, and tour our facilities. For more details, please see our Visitor Information Page.