The Graduate Program in the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry
Applicants should have an undergraduate degree in chemistry (or a related sub-discipline) with a basic foundation in biology, chemistry, physics, and mathematics.
Applicants will be considered on the basis of their intellectual capacity, communication skills, motivation, and aptitude for laboratory research. Applicants with serious undergraduate course deficiencies may be required to correct these prior to admission into the program.
- Summer 2019 Admission: Application deadline - January 1, 2019 (Phone calls will be taken when offices reopen Tuesday, January 2, 2019.)
- Spring: No Admission
- THERE IS NO FEE FOR APPLYING TO THIS PROGRAM!
Graduate application materials should be sent to:
Bayer School of Natural & Environmental Sciences
100 Mellon Hall
600 Forbes Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15282
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry Application Requirements
Please submit a complete application with all items listed below. Only complete application packages are reviewed by the Admissions Committee.
1. An application.
2. A Statement of Purpose is required. It should be approximately 250 words, describing your goals and objectives for enrolling in this program.
3. Official transcripts in English of all undergraduate and any graduate studies completed. Ask the registrar(s) of your undergraduate and graduate colleges or universities to send the transcript to the above address.
4. Three letters of recommendation sent by your listed references to the above address. In addition, please also have each reference submit a completed recommendation form.
5. Official GRE scores are required for admission. Please have official GRE scores sent from ETS using code 2196 only (a department code isn't needed). A subject test is optional.
6. INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS ONLY - Your application package must also contain the following:
- Official (iBT) TOEFL scores that are current to one year. Please review Duquesne University's English Language Proficiency requirements. Total Internet-based TOEFL scores must be at least 100 or greater for admission to the graduate Chemistry program.
- Duquesne University Affidavit of Support Form completed in full and an official bank statement. The affidavit of support form is a legal document that a student’s sponsor must complete and have notarized and certified. The bank statement must be from the sponsor and show at least one full year of costs. Estimates of costs for the academic year are available from the Center for Global Engagement.
- Mandatory International Student Form.
Please make sure your application is complete. Applications that are missing any of the above items will not be processed.
Please email email@example.com with application questions or problems.
We'd Like to Meet You!
The Bayer School of Natural and Environmental Sciences strongly encourages all applicants to visit our campus, meet our faculty, and tour our facilities. For more details, please see our Visitor Information Page.