Job Posting Policies
- All postings must include a professional website to help evaluate the opportunity and recruiters must use a professional/organization-related email address in the contact field. Typically, The Center for Career Development will not allow the use of free web-based or personal email addresses (Gmail, Yahoo, Verizon, etc.). Resumes cannot be sent to a current Duquesne University student email address, or any intern or non-permanent staff member of the organization.
- The phone number must be tied to a company contact and not be a personal cell phone number.
- The physical address must be present and verifiable; no PO Box addresses will be accepted. Employers who post opportunities through the Center for Career Development must have a valid BUSINESS address and a work location. This work location cannot be a private residential home, apartment or dwelling.
The U.S. Department of Justice requires employers, recruiters, and others posting employment ads to comply with all applicable equally employment opportunity laws, including the anti-discrimination provision of the Immigration and Naturalization Act. More information can be found at the Department of Justice website. Namely, the U.S. Department of Justice prohibits:
- Any posting that requires U.S. citizenship or lawful permanent residence in the U.S. as a condition of employment, unless otherwise required in order to comply with law, regulation, executive order, or government contract.
- Any job requirement or criterion in connection with a job posting that discriminates on the basis of citizenship status or natural origin.
The Center for Career Development will not post opportunities where a student is paid in cash or where a student's payment is a partial amount from a deposited check.
- Commission-only positions
Employers offering employment must pay a base salary equal to or greater than the federal minimum wage and comply with federal, state and local regulations.
Internships and Student Employment - It is the practice of the Center for Career Development to not post commission-only positions for current students.
Career Opportunities - the Center for Career Development will post commission-only positions for graduating seniors or alumni; however this detail of the position must be stated clearly in the job description.
- Network Marketing / Multi-level opportunities/"Pyramid-Schemes"
The Center for Career Development does not post positions or allow recruiting for opportunities that have pay structures based on recruiting additional staff into the organization or where the pay or commission structure is based on fees from other employees or a percentage of sales generated by other employees.
- No Buy-in or Fee for Services opportunities
No posting will be accepted if applicants must pay to purchase access to opportunities or a position that requires a potential employee to provide funds to a supervisor or other company representative for services. The Center for Career Development will not post opportunities where a financial investment is required, including but not limited to a fee for job placement or a non-refundable fee for training(s) or certifications necessary to perform the job.
- Independent Contractors / Entrepreneurial opportunities
The Career Center will not post positions when company compensation is designated for independent contractors.
The Career Center will not post positions for companies who require candidates to pay fees for or rent training, sales kits, equipment or other material before or at the end of their contract. This also includes companies where candidates would be required to make an initial financial investment to be hired.
- One-Time Paid Opportunities
The Center for Career Development typically will not post one-time paid opportunities except in very unique situations and then only by our discretion. Criteria for decision will include, but not be limited to, the potential of this opportunity providing the possibility for on-going part-time, internship, or full-time hiring. It may also depend on the type of work required and the structure of the organization hiring the employee.
Types of Positions
- Campus Representative/Brand Ambassador
Duquesne University has a stringent "no solicitation" policy for our campus. As such, the Career Center will not post positions for campus representatives or other positions where students are encouraged/required to market/sell items, programs or services to other campus entities (e.g., department offices) or members (e.g., other students, faculty, staff).
- Door-to-Door Sales or Canvassing
The Center for Career Development does not post positions where student go door-to-door to sell products or to canvass for information. This includes but is not limited to marketing, sales, and political parties or political candidates.
- Mystery Shopper
In adherence to the Independent Contractor policy, we cannot work with companies who are hiring candidates to work as a secret shopper or mystery shopper, where candidates set their own schedules and operate independently.
- Personal Services
The Center for Career Development does not post positions or assist in recruiting candidates for personal services positions, or any positions where an employee would work out of someone else's home, apartment, or dwelling. This includes, but is not limited to, Babysitter/Nanny; Tutor; Laborer, ie. painters, movers, yard work; or Home Health/Personal assistant to care for personal errands or daily needs.
- Virtual Opportunities
The Career Center typically will not post work from home opportunities except in very unique situations and then only by our discretion. Criteria for decision will include, but not be limited to, the potential of this opportunity providing the possibility for on-going part-time, internship, or full-time hiring. It may also depend on the type of work required and the structure of the organization hiring the employee (e.g., working remotely with company-supplied equipment instead of the employee providing all their own equipment as in the case of an independent contractor).
- Teach Abroad
The Center for Career Development typically will not post Teach Abroad opportunities except in very unique situations and then only by our discretion.
- Adult Entertainment/Adult Consumption
No adult entertainment industry positions, escort services, presentation modeling or similar activity associated with the use of illegal alcohol or drugs will be accepted.
- Job/Internship Board Websites
All postings must be directly tied to an individual employer. Postings from resume referral firms or independent job/internship board websites designed for the collection of resumes on behalf of a larger number of employers will not be accepted. Likewise, opportunities where the purpose of the postings is to promote the usage of the organization's job boards will not be accepted.