The Credential Service is a reference-support system for career employment, for graduate study, or for professional study. University sanctioned credential files lend credence to recommendations and help to assure organizational adherence to legislation and guidelines affecting the recruitment and selection of applicants for both jobs and educational programs.
Credential files are
- primarily used by Ph.D. candidates applying for teaching positions at the college/university level
- may also be used for graduate school application however, most students prefer to manage their reference letters. We will provide assistance if the graduate school requires transmission of letters via a third party.
- subject to the provisions of the Family Rights and Privacy Act of 1974
You can live outside the Pittsburgh area or outside the USA and still maintain and use a credential file.
Opening your credential file
A credential packet may be picked up at the Center for Career Development or you may request one by emai (email@example.com) or phone (412.396.6644). The packet contains:
- a waiver form
- a credential record card
- three letter of recommendation forms
- three credential request forms
- review and complete the transcript request form
There is no fee for initiating a file.
- Although curriculum vitas/resumes and transcripts may be included in a credential file, the primary purpose is for housing letters of recommendation (confidential and/or non-confidential).
- Letter of Recommendation forms should be requested from at least three people, preferably instructors at the University level.
- Letters of Recommendation may also be requested from those who can document other accomplishments outside the University setting.