Asthma Educator Institute
American Lung Association Asthma Educator Institute
The American Lung Association (ALA) Asthma Educator Institute is a two-day preparatory course for those qualified to take the National Asthma Educator Certification Board (NAECB) exam. Most currently licensed health care professionals are eligible to take the exam. Developed in 2003, the Asthma Educator Institute has since been updated twice and reflects the current asthma guidelines, the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI), National Asthma Education and Prevention Program (NAEPP), and Expert Panel Report 3 (EPR-3): Guidelines for the Diagnosis and Management of Asthma.
The curriculum covers the content outlined in the NAECB Candidate Handbook and includes case reviews, hands-on skills demonstration and practice. The course is delivered by asthma experts, including Certified Asthma Educators (AE-C). The goals of the Asthma Educator Institute are to:
- Provide comprehensive instruction on the pathophysiology of asthma and the burden of asthma in the United States
- Prepare participants to provide NHLBI and NAEPP guideline-directed asthma care to patients, families and healthcare providers across all settings (ie. identifying factors contributing to asthma and asthma exacerbations, patient and family assessments, pharmacologic management including device demonstration, and asthma management plans)
- Identify the various roles of the asthma educator
- Help prepare participants to pass the NAECB exam (AE-C)
- Network with healthcare providers, educators and organizations surrounding asthma care and asthma care policies
Jennifer Elliott, Pharm.D.
Associate Professor of Pharmacy Practice
Other Healthcare Practioner: $425
Upcoming Training Dates:
Reservations for the program cannot be held until the registration fee is received. Cancellations received in writing (via email) at least seven days prior to the program will receive a refund minus a $25 cancellation fee if an access code to learning material was not processed. If the access code was processed, a refund minus a $150 cancellation fee will be provided. Please contact the program coordinator if you need to cancel your registration.
Duquesne University reserves the right to cancel the program at any point in time. In that event, each participant will be notified via email and a full refund will be made.