Applying to the Biological Sciences Ph.D. Graduate Program
Applicants should have an undergraduate degree in biology (or a related discipline) with a basic foundation in biology, chemistry, physics, and mathematics.
Applicants will be considered on the basis of their intellectual capacity, communication skills, motivation, and aptitude for laboratory research. Applicants with serious undergraduate course deficiencies may be required to correct these prior to admission into the program.
Fall 2018 Admission: December 15th, 2017 (late applications are not being accepted)
Spring and Summer: No Admission
Please submit a complete application with all items listed below. Only complete application packages are reviewed by the Admissions Committee.
1. Demographics and education information online form.
2. Upload your statement of purpose, curriculum vitae, and the names and contact information for three recomendation letter writers.
Upload statement, curriculum vitae, and recomendation letter contact info - Application Site No Longer Active for Fall 2018 Admission. Please stop back in Fall 2018 for 2019 admission.
Statement of Purpose - Maximum 2 pages in length, save as PDF; Statement should describe (1) your previous research experience, (2) your goals and objectives for obtaining a PhD in Biology, and (3) a list of graduate faculty whose research interests you (and why)*.
Curriculum Vitae or Resume - No page limit, save as PDF; Must list education, work experience, research experience, publications, presentations.
Names and e-mail addresses for three letter of recomendation writers. After uploading names, it is your responsibility to send your writers the following link to the "recomendation letter upload site" - www.duq.edu/biology-graduate-recommendation
3. Official transcripts, in English, of all undergraduate and any graduate studies completed. These should be sent directly from the University to BioGradInfo@duq.edu (preferred) or by mail to:
Department of Biological Sciences
Biology PhD Program
201 Mellon Hall
600 Forbes Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15282
4. Official GRE scores sent to the above e-mail or mail address. General test is required for admission into the Ph.D. Biological Sciences program. A subject test (in either Biology, Biochemistry, or Cell & Molecular Biology) is optional.
5. International Students Only - Your application package must also contain the following:
- Official Internet-based (iBT) TOEFL scores that are current to one year. Please review Duquesne University's English Language Proficiency requirements. The minimum required TOEFL score is 100.
- Before classes begin, International students and any non-native speakers of the English language (including Lawful Permanent Residents) will be required to take the Speaking Proficiency English Assessment Kit (SPEAK) test. On occasion students with exceptionally high speaking portions of the TOEFL may be waived from the SPEAK test.
- Mandatory International Student Form.
- All of the above items should be mailed to the above address or e-mailed to BioGradInfo@duq.edu
Please make sure your application is complete. Applications that are missing any of the above items will not be processed.
Please e-mail BioGradInfo@duq.edu with application questions or problems.
We'd Like to Meet You!
The Bayer School of Natural and Environmental Sciences strongly encourages all applicants to visit our campus, meet our faculty, and tour our facilities. For more details, please see our Visitor Information Page.