Post-Master's Certificates Admissions - International Students
ADMISSION CRITERIA (Summer start only)
1. A bachelor of science in nursing (BSN) degree AND a master of science in nursing (MSN) degree from an institution of higher learning recognized as an acceptable equivalent to a U.S. college or university.
2. Current designation as a professional nurse in the country of practice:
- Online students who will be practicing only in their native country (to meet the clinical course requirements of the PMC program) should hold licensure or professional recognition of a nurse in that country. The application packet must include verification of licensure/designation.
- Online students who will be practicing nursing in the U.S. (to meet clinical course requirements of the PMC program) must have a current nursing license to practice in a state or territory of the U.S. where they will be practicing as students. The application packet must include verification of licensure.
3. A demonstrated record of acceptable academic success.
4. A score of 600 or higher (100 iBT) on the Test of English as a Foreign language (TOEFL).
5. A credential evaluation from the Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools (CGFNS) for nursing course work and World Education Services (WES) for non-nursing course work are required.
6. Computer literacy in word processing, spreadsheet, database management, and presentation graphics.
7. An undergraduate course in Physical Assessment is required for the Family Nurse Practitioner and the Nursing Education certificates.
8. Students must meet the Technical Standards for Admission.
The application procedures are the same for each certificate. The admissions process for nursing graduate studies is handled exclusively by the School of Nursing.
1. Complete the online Duquesne University International Application.
Please choose the INTERNATIONAL application, not the Graduate Nursing application.
If transcripts will be sent under a different name, i.e. maiden or former name, please indicate that name.
2. Provide two professional reference letters - one academic, one employment. Send this link to your references to complete: Graduate Reference Form
By forwarding this link to your references, you waive your right to view the recommendations.
3. Mail the following to the School of Nursing - PMC Program:
- Current curriculum vitae (CV): a complete resume with dated work and practice, honors, awards, publications and presentations
- Copy of current unencumbered RN license
- A statement of your professional goals and how you plan to use advanced nursing knowledge in your career. Use a separate sheet and limit to one typed page, double-spaced.
- Copy of course syllabus for prerequisite courses: statistics and undergraduate physical assessment
- The Request for Advanced Standing Form and supporting documents, if requesting advanced standing
4. Arrange for these documents to be sent directly to the School of Nursing - PMC Program:
- Official BSN transcript
- Official transcripts for prerequisite courses, if not included on BSN program transcript
- Official MSN transcript (NOTE: Advanced Pharmacy courses completed more than 5 years prior to the anticipated graduation date of the Post Master's Certificate program may need to be repeated.)
- Any additional official graduate transcripts, if requesting advanced standing
- TOEFL scores
- Credential evaluation from CGFNS and WES
5. If you are interested in graduate loans, you must complete the
Graduate Financial Aid Application and mail directly to the Financial Aid Office.
6. If you are accepted, a non-refundable $250.00 deposit will be required to reserve your place in class.