Ensuring Your Safety
Pittsburgh is consistently ranked among the safest cities in the country. One of only four accredited universities in the state by the Pennsylvania Chiefs of Police Association, the Duquesne University Department of Public Safety is committed to providing a safe environment for students, faculty, staff and visitors. The Department of Public Safety employs police officers along with security guards and support staff. We work to:
- Provide security and law enforcement
- Prevent crime
- Increase safety awareness
Security Systems and Services
Every effort is made to identify and prevent dangerous situations on campus. However, in the event of an emergency, several communication methods and services are available to enhance the safety of the campus.
- DU Alert delivers emergency messages via voice and text on cell phones and landline telephones
- An Outside Warning System will sound a tone and a voice message announcing the nature of an emergency
- Code Blue Telephones are located around campus for automatic connections to a Police Communications Operator
- Emergency Duress Alarms are located in several buildings on campus to connect with Public Safety
- An Escort Service is available on campus from sunset to sunrise to ensure the safety of all Duquesne University community members as they travel to or from his or her car, Residence Hall, Academic Building or office.
Make sure to also read about: