PGY1, Pharmacy Care, Memorial University Medical Center
PGY2, Infectious Diseases, West Virginia University Hospitals
Dr. Anthony Guarascio received his Pharm.D. in 2009 from West Virginia University. Following his degree, he completed a post-graduate pharmacy practice residency at Memorial University Medical Center in Savannah, Georgia and an infectious diseases specialty residency at West Virginia University Hospitals in Morgantown. Dr. Guarascio is a board certified pharmacotherapy specialist and has received certification from the American Pharmacists Association for pharmacy-based immunization delivery. His interests in academia and infectious diseases clinical practice have led him to his current position as an Associate Professor at the Duquesne University School of Pharmacy. He instructs in the area of infectious diseases for both didactic and experiential learning experiences.
Dr. Guarascio's clinical practice is at Allegheny General Hospital in Pittsburgh, where he is a member of the multidisciplinary infectious diseases consult medical service. His research interests include the stewardship and optimization of antimicrobial therapy in clinical practice for which he has accrued various national and international presentations as well as publications in the professional literature. Additional interests include international healthcare initiatives for which he has participated in healthcare mission trips to both Peru and Haiti.
- Covvey, J. R., Tidgewell, K. J., Guarascio, A. J., & O'Donnell, L. (2016). Faculty Development Grant for a Spring Break Away Course or
Summer Study Abroad Course, Co-Investigator, Duquesne University Office of International
- Stewart, A., Kokta, N., & Guarascio, A. J. (2015) Appropriate Antimicrobial Selection in Dental Practice, Co-Investigator,
Pennsylvania Pharmacists Association Educational Foundation.
- O'Donnell, L. A. & Guarascio, A. J. (2017). The intersection of antimicrobial stewardship and microbiology: educating
the next generation of health care professionals. FEMS Microbiology Letters, 364 (1).,
- Covvey, J. R., Guarascio, A. J., O'Donnell, L., & Tidgewell, K. (in press, 2017). Development and implementation
of a global health elective and drug discovery game for pharmacy students. Pharmacy.
- Guarascio, A.J., Nemecek, B., & Zimmerman, D. (2017). Evaluation of students' perceptions of the
Socrative application versus a traditional student response system and its impact
on classroom engagement. Currents in Pharmacy Teaching and Learning.
- Guarascio, A. J., Faust, A. C., Sheperd, L., & O'Donnell, L. A. (2015). Ebola Virus Disease: Roles
and Considerations for
Pharmacists. ANN PHARMACOTHER, 49 (2), 247-249, doi: 10.1177/1060028014561782.
- Guarascio, A. J. & Slain, D. (2015). Review of the New Delayed-Release Oral Tablet and Intravenous
Dosage Forms of
Posaconazole. PHARMACOTHERAPY, Epub ahead of print, doi: 10.1002/phar.1533.
Book Chapters (2015–Present)
- Guarascio, A. J. (2017). Anti-Infective Agents. In Press, The APhA Complete Review for Pharmacy.
- Guarascio, A. J. (2016). Antimicrobial Stewardship in the Intensive Care Unit. Critical Care Self-Assessment Program: Infection Critical Care I (pp. 99-113). American College of Clinical Pharmacy.
- Guarascio, A. J. & Nemecek, B. (2015). Laboratory Tests in Infectious Diseases. Pharmacotherapy Casebook. McGraw-Hill.
- Kokta, N., Guarascio, A. J., & Stewart, A. (2017). Antimicrobial Stewardship in Dental Practice: The Development
and Impact of a Pharmacy-Led Intervention. American Pharmacists Association, San Francisco,
- Chan, L., Guarascio, A. J., Chan-Tompkins, N. H., & Como, J. (2016). Retrospective analysis of adverse events
between nafcillin vs. cefazolin for methicillin susceptible Staphylococcus aureus
infections. American Society for Microbiology, Boston, Massachusetts.
- Coleman, P., Sears, M., Vaichys, S., Guarascio, A. J., & Nemecek, B. (2015). Evaluation of appropriateness of vaccination procedures of
the 13-valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine and the 23-valent pneumococcal polysaccharide
vaccine in a hospital setting. American College of Clinical Pharmacy Global Conference
on Clinical Pharmacy, San Francisco, California.
- Ross, W., Brown, J., Guido, K., Nemecek, B., & Guarascio, A. J. (2015). Vancomycin dosing considerations in patients with liver cirrhosis. American
College of Clinical Pharmacy Global Conference on Clinical Pharmacy, San Francisco,
- Brickett, L., Porter, T., Lee, N., Guarascio, A. J., & Covvey, J. R. (2015). Development of a statewide antibiogram to guide pharmacist recommendations for the treatment of antibioticresistant ESKAPE organisms. American Society of Health Systems Pharmacists, New Orleans, Louisiana.