- Ph.D., Theology, Boston College, 2008
- M.A., Theology, Catholic Theological Union, 2004
- A.B., History, Princeton University, 1998
- BRDG 100 Can Faith Save the Earth?
- BRDG 105 Introduction to Ethical Reasoning
- THEO 143 Global and Cultural Perspectives
- THEO 185 Climate Change, Resilience, and Sustainability
- THEO 203W Hinduism and Buddhism (Writing Intensive)
- THEO 210 Buddhist-Christian Dialogue
- IHP 212 Hallows and the Holy: Harry Potter and Theology (Honors College)
- THEO 540 Comparative Theology (Masters Level)
- THEO 694 Doctoral Seminar in Ecological Ethics
Scholarship and Publications
- Dr. Scheid's research interests are in ecological ethics and comparative theology.
- “Covid 19 and Building a More Sustainable World,” in Strands of Sustainability. Ed. Gerard Magill and James Benedict, Fall 2022. Newcastle upon Tyne: Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2023: 10-19.
- “Recent Hindu and Buddhist Approaches to Climate Change: In Dialogue with Pope Francis.” Bulletin of Ecumenical Theology, 34, 2022: 68-84.
- “Integral Ecology, Just Peace, and Extractives.” Co-authored with Anna Floerke Scheid. Catholic Peacebuilding and Mining: Integral Peace, Development, and Ecology. Edited by Gerard F. Powers and Caesar A. Montevecchio. London: Routledge, 2022: 117-132.
- “Creation, Cosmos, and Ecology in Hindu-Christian Relations.” In Routledge Handbook of Hindu-Christian Relations. Ed. Michelle Voss Roberts and Chad Bauman. New York: Routledge, 2021: 401-408.
- “Land and Ecosystems.” In T&T Clark Companion to Christian Ethics. Ed. Tobias Winright. New York: T&T Clark, 2021: 369-380.
- “Teilhard de Chardin, Thomas Berry, The Journey of the Universe, and Evolutionary Wonder.” Teilhard Perspectives, Volume 52, Number 2, Winter 2019: 7-12.
- “Christian Ethics and the Ecological Emergency,” Co-author on public statement by Christian ethicists. https://dailytheology.org/2019/03/12/christian-ethics-and-the-ecological-emergency-a-statement-from-christian-ethicists-without-borders/
- “Tamil Saivism, Srivaisnavism, and Eco-Theology,” in the Journal of Vaishnava Studies. Volume 28, No. 1, Fall 2019: 137-144.
- “The Moral Vision of Laudato Si’: The Cosmic Common Good as a Common Ground for Interreligious Ecological Ethics,” in Integral Ecology: Protecting Our Common Home. Ed. Gerard Magill, Jordan Potter. Newcastle upon Tyne: Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2018: 155-181.
- “Laudato Si’ and the Development of Catholic Social Teaching,” in All Creation Is Connected: Voices in Response to Pope Francis’s Encyclical on Ecology, Edited by Daniel R. DiLeo. Winona, MN: Anselm Academic, 2018: 182-194.
- “Laudato Si’: A North American Perspective,” Bulletin of Ecumenical Theology, 28, 2016: 88-103.
- “The Integrity of Creation and the Cosmic Common Good,” in The Urgency of Climate Change: Pivotal Perspectives. Ed. Gerard Magill and Kiaresh Aramesh. Newcastle upon Tyne: Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2016: 20-30.
- "Catholic Cosmic Common Good, Buddhist Interdependence, and the Practice of Interreligious Ecological Ethics," in The Journal of Inter-Religious Studies, 16, 2015: 72-80.
- "Co-Creator or Creative Predator? James Nash's Contributions to Catholic Social Teaching on Ecological Ethics" in Worldviews: Global Religions, Culture, and Ecology, ed. Christopher Key Chapple, 18 (2014): 99-121.
- Bidlack, Brecht, Krokus, Scheid, Locklin. "Teaching Comparative Theology from an Institution's
Mission," Teaching Theology and Religion, Volume 17, Issue 4, October 2014: 369-387.
Scheid. "Teaching Comparative Theology from an Institution's Mission: A Spiritan Perspective," Teaching Theology and Religion, Volume 17, Issue 4, October 2014: 379-382.
- "Common Good: Human, or Cosmic?" Journal of Religion & Society, Supplement Series 9: "The Greening of the Papacy," edited by Ronald A. Simkins and John J. O'Keefe (The Kripke Center: 2013, http://moses.creighton.edu/JRS/toc/SS09.html): 5-15.
- "Just Peacemaking Theory and the Promotion of Dignified Subsistence," in Violence, Transformation, and the Sacred: They Shall Be Called Children of God (College Theology Society Annual Volume 2011), eds. Margaret R. Pfeil and Tobias L. Winright (Maryknoll, NY: Orbis, 2012): 175-189.
- "Saint Thomas Aquinas, the Thomistic Tradition, and the Cosmic Common Good," in Green Discipleship: Catholic Theological Ethics & the Environment. Ed. Tobias Winwright (Winona, MN: Anselm Academic, 2011): 129-147.
- "Thomas Aquinas, the Cosmic Common Good, and Climate Change," in Confronting the Climate Crisis: Catholic Theological Perspectives. Ed. Jame Schaefer (Milwaukee, WI: Marquette University Press, 2011): 125-144.
- "Expanding Catholic Ecological Ethics: Ecological Solidarity and Earth Rights" in Religion, Economics, and Culture in Conflict and Conversation (College Theology Society Annual Volume 2010), eds. Laurie Cassidy and Maureen O'Connell (Maryknoll, NY: Orbis, 2011): 196-216.
- "Vedānta Deśika and Thomas Aquinas on the Intrinsic Value of Nature" in the Journal of Vaishnava Studies, 18 (2010): 27-42.
- "Common Good," in Berkshire Encyclopedia of Sustainability: Vol.1 The Spirit of Sustainability. Ed. Willis Jenkins (Great Barrington, MA: Berkshire Publishing Group, October 2009): 71-72.
Recent Conference Presentations
- "Rethinking Progress Through the Voice of Puerto Ricans." Catholic Theological Society of America, San Juan, Puerto Rico. June 2016.
- "God at Play in Creation: Resources for Christian Ecological Ethics in Hindu Lila (Play) and Bhoga (Pleasure)," Society of Christian Ethics, Toronto, Canada. January 2016.
- "Just Sustainability and Its Implications for Cross-Cultural Pedagogy," College Theology Society, Portland, OR. June 2015.
- "Pope Francis and the First Encyclical on Ecology: Solidarity, The Common Good, and The Preferential Option for the Poor," College Theology Society, Portland, OR. June 2015.
- "Catholic Common Good, Buddhist Interdependence, and the Practice of Interreligious Ecological Ethics," American Academy of Religion, San Diego, CA. November 2014
- "Catholic Theology and Catholic Engagement in Contemporary Environmental Issues: A Primer in Catholic Social Teaching," Society of Catholic Social Scientists, Steubenville, OH. October 2013
- "All My Relations: A Critical Appreciation of Lakota Spirituality for Christian Ecological Ethics," Society of Christian Ethics, Chicago, IL. January 2013
- "Teaching Comparative Theology from an Institution's Spirituality and Mission: A Spiritan Perspective," Panel participant, American Academy of Religion, Chicago, IL. November 2012.
- "Alongside Waterfalls: Thomas Berry and the Sacramentality of the Universe," Catholic Theological Society of America, St. Louis, MO. June 2012