Frank Kosnosky is a clinician and educator with a special interest in neonatal health. He is board certified as a family and neonatal nurse practitioner, as well as a neonatal intensive care registered nurse. Frank has a clinical background as a neonatal intensive care registered nurse, and also as a nurse practitioner in several settings which include urgent care, occupational health, and plastics/aesthetics. He also serves as chair of the pain management committee in his NICU.
Frank has experience teaching at the diploma and doctoral levels and both didactically and clinically. He believes that learning should be an enjoyable experience even though it requires hard work and dedication. He fully appreciates the student-educator relationship and the dynamics of mutual interchange in teaching/learning, with both benefitting from each other.
As a former officer, Frank remains active in the Laurel Highlands Nurse Practitioner Association, a member of the Pennsylvania Coalition of Nurse Practitioners. He strongly supports the work of the Coalition in promoting Full Practice Authority for all nurse practitioners across Pennsylvania.
Dr. Kosnosky started his nursing career as a diploma graduate at Conemaugh Valley Memorial Hospital School of Nursing and completed his BSN at Slippery Rock University of Pennsylvania where he also obtained a certificate in case management. He earned his MSN/Family Nurse Practitioner from Clarion University of Pennsylvania before pursuing his Doctor of Nursing Practice at the University of Alabama, Birmingham. He then earned a post-graduate certificate as a Neonatal Nurse Practitioner from the University of South Alabama.
Frank is a member of the American Association of Nurse Practitioners, the Pennsylvania Coalition of Nurse Practitioners, the National Association of Neonatal Nurses, the National Association of Neonatal Nurse Practitioners, the National League for Nursing, and the Laurel Highlands Nurse Practitioner Association. He has also been appointed to the National Certification Corporation (NCC) Neonatal Intensive Care Nursing Conent Team where he assists in the maintainence and development of the certification exam.
- Post-Graduate Certificate, Neonatal Nurse Practitioner, University of South Alabama
- DNP, University of Alabama-Birmingham
- MSN, Family Nurse Practitioner, Clarion University of Pennsylvania
- BSN, Slippery Rock University of Pennsylvania
- RN Diploma, Conemaugh Valley Memorial Hospital School of Nursing
Research Interests or Expertise
- Neonatal pain
- Neonatal abstinence
- Online learning
- RN-NP Role Transition
- Test Construction/Analysis
- Neonatal Pain Assessment and Management
- Neonatal Health
- Online/Distance Learning
- 2018 Pennsylvania Three Rivers Chapter of NAPNAP 22nd Annual Winter Symposium, Moon Township, PA, Oral Presentation, "Reducing the Ouch: Procedural Pain in the NICU and Consequences for the PCP."
- 2013 Blair Regional Nurse Practitioner Association Annual Conference, Altoona, PA. Oral Presentation, "A Modern Day Fountain of Youth: Does it Exist?"
- 2016 Laurel Highlands Nurse Practitioner Association Annual Conference, Johnstown, PA. Oral Presentation, "What's on my skin? Demystifying and Treating Common and Uncommon Skin Conditions."
- Neonatal Intensive Care Nursing Content Team Member, National Certification Corporation (NCC, 2018, 2017)
- Item Writer for Certification Exams, Continued Competency Exams, and Module Reviewer, National Certification Corporation (NCC, 2018, 2017, 2016)
- CCRN Neonatal Exam Development Committee, American Association of Critical Care Nurses (AACN, 2017, 2016)
- Excellence in Practice-University of South Alabama NNP Program - 2014
- Sigma Theta Tau Inductee (Nu Chapter) - 2012
- Conemaugh School of Nursing Alumni Association Spirit of the Pink Cross Award - 2005
- Conemaugh Health System Medical Staff Outstanding Student Award - 2005