A specialist in ritual studies, liturgics and sacramental theology, Dr. Worgul has authored two books, From Magic to Metaphor: A Validation of Christian Sacraments (New York: Paulist, 1980) and Issues in Academic Freedom (Pittsburgh: Duquesne University Press, 1992). He has published 45 articles in scientific journals and given hundreds of presentations in the United States and Europe. Dr. Worgul is also the University's coordinator of Africa Programs.
- S.T.D., Theology, Catholic University of Leuven, 1975
- Ph.D., Theology, Catholic University of Leuven, 1974
- M.A., Theology, Niagara University, 1972
- M.Div., Theology, Niagra University, 1971
- B.A., Philosophy, Niagara University, 1968
- Sacramental Theology
- Ecclesiology, Inculturation
Dr. Worgul has been very active in training the next generation of theologians by having directed thirty one doctoral dissertations.
- President's Award for Excellence in Teaching.
- President's Award for Excellence in Scholarship.
- From Magic to Metaphor (Paulist Press, 1980)
- "Sacraments as Iconic Interruptions of the loving God," in Thomas Knieps-Port le Roi & Lieven Boeve, eds., Gods sacramentele aanwezigheid in de wereld van vandaag: Hulde aan professor dr. Lambert Leijssen (Leuven: Acco, 2008).
- Edited and wrote the English introduction to Lambert Leijssen, With the Glimmer of the Holy Spirit: Postmodernity and the Sacraments (Paulist Press, 2007). Read here.
- "The Imagination, Epistomology and Values: A Perspective From Religious Traditions," in George F. McLean and John A. Kromkowski, eds., Moral Imagination and Character Development, Volume 1: The Imagination (Washington, 2007). Read here.
- "The Holy Spirit and the Creative Imagination," in The Celebration of the Ordinary (Bethel Park, Pa.: Spiritus Press, 2003);
- "Balthasar's Kneeling Theology, Liturgics and Post Modernism," Questions liturgiques 83 (2002): 257-269;
- "Root Metaphors and Sacramental Presence in a Postmodern Age," Questions liturgiques 81 (2000): 184-197;
- "Inculturation and Root Metaphors," Questions liturgiques 77 (1996): 40-51.
Theological Explorations: An Online Journal
Dr. Worgul is the general editor of Theological Explorations. The title of the journal articulates its philosophy, exploration. At Theological Explorations we hope to search every topic, proposal, and theory in a quest for truth, no matter how limited it may appear or be grasped.
This online journal publishes articles and book reviews on theological issues and debates that reflect current research and scholarship. Issues are published around a particular theme and organized by a member of the Department of Theology. Occasionally, a guest editor may direct a particular issue. We welcome topic suggestions and articles submitted for review and publication.
- Theological Explorations, volume I
- Theological Explorations, volume II
Volume II, edited by Mr. Thomas A. Walsh and Dr. George S. Worgul, focuses on on the
approved application of the papal encyclical Ex Corde Ecclesiae to Catholic schools
of higher learning.