- Ph.D., English, University of Texas at Austin, 1999
- M.A., English, New York University, 1995
- B.A., English, Reed College, 1992
Research Interests or Expertise
- 20th Century American Literature and Culture
- Book History
- 20th Century Irish Literature
- The Publishing Industry
Recent Journalism and Public Writing:
- "Searching for a Spy." ANZASA Online. 30 Sept. 2019. https://anzasablog.wordpress.com/2019/09/30/searching-for-a-spy
- "Actually Existing Ireland." TheBattleground.eu 17 July 2019. medium.com/thebattleground/actually-existing-ireland-77aa926b07a8
- "When Terrorism Hits Home." Souciant.com 1 Nov. 2018. souciant.com/2018/11/when-terrorism-hits-home/
- "Finks, Fronts, and Puppets: Revisiting the Cultural Cold War." Los Angeles Review of Books 8 Jan. 2017. https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/finks-fronts-puppets-revisiting-cultural-cold-war/
- "The Man Who Made American Modernism, and Modernism American." Humanities Jan/Feb. 2016: 30-5. https://www.neh.gov/humanities/2016/januaryfebruary/feature/the-man-who-made-american-modernism-and-modernism-american
- Cold War Modernists: Art, Literature, and American Cultural Diplomacy. Columbia University Press, 2015
- Pressing the Fight: Print, Propaganda, and the Cold War. Edited by Greg Barnhisel and Cathy Turner. University of Massachusetts Press, 2010.
- James Laughlin, New Directions, and the Remaking of Ezra Pound. Amherst and Boston: University of Massachusetts Press, 2005.
Articles and Chapters in Refereed Publications:
- "Moderne und Massengeschmack." Amerika! Disney • Rockwell • Pollock • Warhol (exhibition catalog). Hamburg, Germany: Bucerius Kunst Forum, 2019: 10-19.
- "New Directions Books." In Lise Jaillant, ed, Publishing Modernist Fiction and Poetry. Edinburgh: Edinburgh UP, 2019: 175-92.
- "A Declining Empire in a Rising Power: British Writers in America." In Matthew Taunton and Benjamin Kohlmann, eds, A History of 1930s British Literature. Cambridge and New York: Cambridge UP, 2019: 331-44.
- "Small Magazines." In Ichiro Takayoshi, ed., American Literature in Transition: The 1920s. Cambridge and New York: Cambridge University Press, 2018: 417-33.
- "Packaging Faulkner as a Cold War Modernist." In Jay Watson and Jaime Harker, eds, Faulkner and Book History. Jackson: University Press of Mississippi, 2017: 158-74.
- "Modernism and the MFA." In Loren Glass, ed., After the Program Era. Iowa City: University of Iowa Press, 2016: 55-66.
- "Modernism and Antimodernism at Harvard: James Laughlin's Early Poetry." Journal of Modern Literature 39.3 (Spring 2016).
- "James Laughlin, Robert Hutchins, and Cold War Cultural Freedom." Princeton University Library Chronicle 75.3 (Spring 2014): 385-405.
- "Wikipedia and the Wisdom of Crowds: A Student Project." Co-authored with Marcia Rapchak. Communications in Information Literacy 8.2.
- "Encounter Magazine and the Twilight of Modernism." ELH 81.1 (Spring 2014): 381-416.
- Barnhisel, Greg, Evan Stoddard, and Jennifer Gorman. "Incorporating Process-Based Writing Pedagogy into First-Year Learning Communities: Strategies and Outcomes." Journal of General Education 61.4 (2012): 461-87.
- "Cold Warriors of the Book: The USIA and American Book Programs in the 1950s." Book History 13 (2010): 185-217.
- "Publishing and Publishers." In Nadel, Ira, ed., Ezra Pound in Context. Cambridge: Cambridge UP, 2010: 356-65.
- "Perspectives USA and the Cultural Cold War: Modernism in Service of the State." Modernism/Modernity 14.4 (November 2007): 729-54.
- Desselle, Shane, Christopher K. Surratt, Janet Astle, Leigh Ann White, Lina Yacovelli, Greg Barnhisel, Megan Jewell, Heather Shippen, Erin R. Holmes. "Evolution of a Required Service-Learning Course: Lessons Learned and Plans for the Future." Journal of Pharmacy Education 12.1 (2005): 23-40.
- "Ezra Pound and James Laughlin: The Publisher as Spin Doctor." Paideuma 29.3 (Winter 2000): 165-178.
- "Marketing Modernism During the Great War." In Mackaman and Mays, eds., World War One and the Cultures of Modernity. Jackson: University Press of Mississippi, 2000.
- "Hitch Your Wagon to a Star: The Square $ Series and Ezra Pound." Papers of the Bibliographical Society of America 92.3 (Sept. 1998): 273-95.
- Connecting with Culture. New York: Pearson Longman, 2012.
- Media and Messages: Strategies and Readings in Public Rhetoric. New York: Longman, 2005.
- Editor, Book History
- Series editor, "Studies in Print Culture and the History of the Book" series, University of Massachusetts Press
- External Visitor Support, Research School of the Humanities and Arts, Australian National University ($4796 AUD), 2019.
- National Endowment for the Humanities Fellowship ($50,400), 2013.
- Princeton University Library Research Grant, 2013-14.
- Travel Grant, Dwight D. Eisenhower Library, 2013.
- Eugene P. Beard Award for Leadership in Ethics, 2012.
- Duquesne University Faculty Development Fund grant ($6,500), 2012.
- Duquesne University McAnulty College internal NEH Endowment grant ($2,500), 2008.
- Mellon Fellowship ($5,000), Harry Ransom Humanities Research Center, University of Texas at Austin, 2007-8.
- National Endowment for the Humanities Summer Stipend ($5,000), 2005.
- 2003-4 Stanley J. Kahrl Fellowship in Literary Manuscripts ($3,000), Houghton Library, Harvard University.