James B. Schreiber, Ph.D. joined the School of Nursing as a Professor in August 2016. He received his doctorate in Learning and Cognition from Indiana University Bloomington in 2000. He has published over 65 articles in journals, such as Journal of Educational Psychology, Semiotica, and Research in Social and Administrative Pharmacy, along with chapters and reviews. In addition, he has over 120 national and international presentations. He is the author of a research methods book with Wiley and Sons, and a book on motivation with Springer.
He has been an Advisory Board member for the Lemelson Center for the Study of Innovation and Invention, Collaborative Pediatric Critical Care Research Network within the NICHD, and a panel reviewer with the IES and NSF. In addition, he held a research fellowship with the Smithsonian Institution from 2011-2012 and continues to consult for the education group at the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum.
He is the former Editor-in-Chief of the Journal of Educational Research, The Journal of Experimental Education, and Genetic, Social, and General Psychology Monographs. He currently, sits on 12 journal editorial boards.
- PhD, Indiana University: Bloomington, IN, Learning and Cognition, 2000
- MS, Indiana University: Bloomington, IN, Statistics, 1998
- MEd, Arizona State University: Tempe, AZ, Secondary Mathematics Education, 1995
- BSBA, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 8/87-12/91, Marketing, 1991
Research Interests or Expertise
- Motivation and cognition
- Peircean reasoning
- Statistical analysis and modeling using both Fisherian and Bayesian techniques
- Multi-faceted wellness
National Science Foundation NSF Award #perso1321216
Dr. Boston & Parke (Co-PIs) 2015-2016
Designing for Equity by Thinking in and About Mathematics
This is a community of mathematical practice devoted to closing the opportunity gap for marginalized secondary mathematics students in Pittsburgh.
Role: Sub-award for analyses and evaluation
Grant ID: SM61119
Dr. Blair (PI) 2013-2016
Early Childhood Mental Health Trauma Treatment Center (ECMH-TTC)
The purpose of the Early Childhood Mental Health and Trauma Treatment Center (ECMH-TTC) at Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic of UPMC is to provide services to children age birth to seven who have experienced trauma, along with their caregivers and/or families.
- Mayol, M., Scott, B., & Schreiber, J. B. (accepted) Validation and Use of the Multi-Dimensional Wellness Inventory in Collegiate Student-Athletes and First Generation Students. American Journal of Health Education
- Wallace, S.E., Donoso Brown, E., Fairman, A., Beardshall, K., Olexsovich, A., & Taylor, A., & Schreiber, J. (accepted). Validation of the Standardized Touchscreen Assessment of Cognition in neurotypical adults. NeuroRehabilitation.
- Schreiber, J. B., & Ferrara, L. N. (in press). Content Analysis (pp 830-850). In D. Wyse, N. Sewn, E. Smith, & L. Suter (Eds.) The BERA/SAGE Handbook of Educational. Research. London: Sage.
- Beghetto, R., & Schreiber, J. B. (in press). Creativity and doubt (pp. 147-164). In B. Sriraman & R. Leikin (Eds.) Creativity and Giftedness: Interdisciplinary Perspectives from Mathematics and Beyond. Switzerland: Springer-Verlag.
- Schreiber J.B., (in press). Update to Core Reporting Practices in Structural Equation Modeling, Research in Social & Administrative Pharmacy doi: 10.1016/j.sapharm.2016.06.006
- Schreiber, J. B. (2016). Latent Class Analysis: An example for reporting results." Research in Social and Administrative Pharmacy. Article is available online here.
- Kappa Delta Epsilon - Teacher of the Year 2014
- Kappa Delta Epsilon - Teacher of the Year 2012
- Order of Omega, Duquesne University, Excellence in Faculty Performance 2008-2009
- Nominated for the Council for Advancement and Support of Education Professor of the Year, 2007.
- Teacher of the Year Southern Illinois University College of Education and Human Services 2004
- Teacher of the Year at Seton High School, AZ, 1995
- National Business Education Association Merit Award Winner May, 1995
- Nominated for the Silver Apple Teaching Award Fall 1995
- Distinguished Master's Degree Graduate: Arizona State University, May 1995.
- Editor Emeritus: The Journal of Educational Research - Current
- Editor-in-Chief: The Journal of Educational Research 2010- 2013
- Executive Editor: The Journal of Educational Research 2005 - 2010
- Executive Editor-Chair: The Journal of Experimental Education 2005-2006
- Executive Editor: Genetic, Social, and, General Psychology Monographs 2006-2007