Emergency Communication Methods
In the event of an emergency, Duquesne University will, without delay, and taking into account the safety of the community, determine the content of the notification and initiate the notification system, unless the notification will, in the professional judgement of the responsible authorities, compromise efforts to assit victims or to contain, respond to, or otherwise mitigate the emergency.
Duquesne University has multiple ways of communicating the existence of an emergency to the Duquesne community. The methods listed below may be used independently or collectively depending on the nature of the emergency event. The Office of Marketing and Communications and/or the Department of Public Safety have responsibility for implementation of the emergency communication methods.
- DU Alert
- Outside Warning System
- Mass e-mail, Blackboard, DU Daily, and website
- Campus Hotline: x1700 from campus phone or 412.396.1700. (Recorded message regarding cancellations, delays, or emergency issues)
- Local/Regional radio, television
- PA System built into siren control of each police vehicle
- “Bullhorn”: handheld PA devices