As part of Bridges, you will undertake a Capstone experience while at Duquesne. Most majors have Capstones embedded in them, but all students have the option to seek approval of an Individual Capstone project.
If you have a Capstone embedded in your major, an Individual Capstone will enrich your learning and enhance your resume or graduate school applications. Other majors provide a variety of options for students, including the opportunity to develop an Individual Capstone project.
Your Student Success Coach can confirm whether a Capstone is included in requirements you already meet through your major, or whether your major provides a range of opportunities for completing a Capstone.
Upon completing your Capstone Learning Experience you will: Individual Capstones are approved by one of your School Designees by the fourth week
of the current academic term. Pro tip: Secure approval before then if possible. School
Designees include Department Chairs, Program Directors, and Associate Deans.
Bridges Capstone Learning Outcomes
Bridges Individual Capstone Project
Upon completing your Capstone Learning Experience you will:
Individual Capstones are approved by one of your School Designees by the fourth week of the current academic term. Pro tip: Secure approval before then if possible. School Designees include Department Chairs, Program Directors, and Associate Deans.
Capstone Project Responsibilities
As a student, complete the Bridges Individual Capstone Project Proposal Form, which includes a comprehensive description of the proposed project and identifies how it meets the learning outcomes (see question #1 and #2 on the proposal), and then:
- Identify a Director of the Capstone, who will sign your proposal;
- Submit the proposal to your School Designee;
- Register for any course that is related to the Capstone during the regular registration period for the academic term, if the Capstone involves a Duquesne course; and
- Complete the Capstone and any corresponding activities/assignments, including the Verification Form, by the last day of classes for the given semester to allow sufficient time for final grading or verification of the experience.
As Director, assist the student in formulating a plan for their Capstone and:
- Review the student's Individual Capstone Proposal and provide feedback;
- Sign the student's proposal;
- Monitor the student's progress during the project in a manner specified in the proposal;
- Verify the student has met the requirements of the Individual Capstone Project and met all required Learning Outcomes and goals as described in the proposal by submitting the Verification Form.
School Designee Responsibilities
As a School Designee, review the Individual Capstone Proposal and:
- Sign the proposal when it is satisfactory and provide copies to the student, Director, the student's Student Success Coach, and the Bridges Steering Committee;
- Notify the student and Director in the event the proposal is not satisfactory; and
- Identify areas for improvement.