Charles Favreau joined the Department of Economics and Finance Fall 2017 after earning his PhD in Finance from the University of Arizona in 2017 and his Masters in Finance from the University of South Florida in 2012. Prior to graduate school, he worked as a Senior Project Manager for Liberty Building Forensics Group and went on to to start his own consulting firm, Delphi Building Science, after becoming a Certified General Contractor in the State of Florida.
Favreau's research areas include investments, investor behavior, financial markets, and real estate. His research appears in Journal of Behavioral Finance, The Journal of Alternative Investments, Quantitative Finance, and Finance Research Letters. His research has been presented at the annual conferences for the Financial Management Association and the Southern Finance Association. In 2020, he was awarded the Presidential Scholarship Award at Duquesne University for work that investigates behavioral biases of insider trades.
While at Duquesne, he developed and leads a course in Real Estate Finance. Additionally, he teaches courses in Business Finance and Financial Management. In 2020, he won the Kurt Rethwisch Outstanding Teacher Award, an award chosen by the graduating class, and in 2021 he was awarded a Dean's Teaching Award.
- Ph.D., University of Arizona
- M.S., University of South Florida
- B.A., University of Central Florida
Articles in Journals
- "Non-positive spreads and trading venue halts: Are investors harmed?" with Ryan Garvey, Finance Research Letters, forthcoming.
- "The effects of layoffs and plant closings on manufacturers' market value," with Ryan Atkins, International Journal of Production Economics, forthcoming.
- "The limitations of estimating implied densities from option prices," with Austin Shelton and Hayden Kane, Quantitative Finance, 2021, Vol. 21, no. 11, pages 1885-1904.
- "What causes the disposition effect? Evidence from corporate Insiders," with Ryan Garvey, Journal of Behavioral Finance, 2021, Vol. 22, no. 2, pages 189-200.
- "The (Under) Performance of Hedge Fund ETFs," with Austin Shelton and Hayden Kane, The Journal of Alternative Investments, 2020, Vol. 22, no. 4, pages 120-143.
- "An examination of cross-market arbitrage," with Ryan Garvey, Journal of Applied Business and Economics, 2019, Vol. 21, no. 3, Article 3.
- "Locked and Crossed Quotations in Modern U.S. Equity Markets," with Ryan Garvey, Financial Management Association 2019, New Orleans, Louisiana.
- "Do Peer Effects Influence Portfolio Choice? Evidence from 401(K) Allocations," Financial Management Association Conference 2017, Boston, Massachusetts.
- "Do Peer Effects Influence Portfolio Choice? Evidence from 401(k) Allocations," Southern Finance Association 2017, Key West, Florida.