- Ph.D., Communication Studies, The University of Texas at Austin, 2002
- M.A., Communication Studies, Texas Tech University, 1997
- B.A., Business Administration, Middle East Technical University, 1995
- Ucok-Sayrak, O. (2019). Aesthetic Ecology of Communication Ethics: Existential Rootedness. Lanham, MD: Fairleigh Dickinson University Press.
Journal Articles (2012 - Present):
- Ucok-Sayrak, O. & Brazelton, N. (2021). Regarding the Question of Presence in Online Education: A Performative Pedagogical Perspective. Educational Philosophy and Theory. https://doi.org/10.1080/00131857.2021.1880389
- Ucok-Sayrak, O. (2020). Bare Experience of Communication: Slippage, Risk, Unknowing. Atlantic Journal of Communication, 28:1, 54-67. DOI: 10.1080/15456870.2020.1684291
- Ucok-Sayrak, O. (2019). Mindfulness Beyond Self-Help: The Context of Virtue, Concentration, and Wisdom. Journal of Communication and Religion, 42: 4, 28- 38.
- Ucok-Sayrak, O. & Deluliis, D. (2019). Chapuling for Freedom and Democracy in Gezi Park: A Case for Communication Ethics, Conflict, and Social Media. Journal of Information, Communication, and Ethics in Society, 18: 1, 62-82. https://doi.org/10.1108/JICES-11-2018-0083
- Ucok-Sayrak, O. (2018). Sense as Interality: Jean-Luc Nancy. China Media Research, 14(1), 99-103.
- Ucok-Sayrak, O. (2017). Exploring Poetry as Philosophy of Communication. Atlantic Journal of Communication, 25: 5, 305-317.
- Ucok-Sayrak, O. (2016). Attending to the "face of the Other" in intercultural communication: Thinking and talking about difference, identity, and ethics. Journal of International and Intercultural Communication, 9: 2, 122-139.
- Ucok-Sayrak, O. (2014). Interbeing and the "ethical echo" of Levinas: Exploring communication ethics beyond willed agency. Review of Communication, 14: 3- 4, 245-269.
- (Contributed) Ucok-Sayrak, O. (2014). Introduction. Listening: Journal of Communication Ethics, Religion, and Culture, 49: 1, 2-7.
- (Contributed) Ucok-Sayrak, O. (2014). Knowing with one's "whole self:" Contemplative inquiry as embodied knowing in the communication classroom. Listening: Journal of Communication Ethics, Religion, and Culture, 49: 1, 44-64.
- Book Chapters (2012 - Present)
- Ucok-Sayrak, O. (2020). Receiving the Stranger through the Exposed Heart. In Reimagining Communication: Experience (vol. 2). Filimowicz, M. & Tzankova, V. (Eds.) NY: Routledge.
- Ucok-Sayrak, O. (2018). Agents of Awakening: Ventriloquism, Nature, and the Cultural Practice of Dialogue. In Arnett, R. C, and Cooren, F. Dialogic Ethics. John Benjamins, 199-213.
- Ucok-Sayrak, O. & Kramer, G. (2015). Cultivating Rootedness and Relatedness in a Digital Age. In Saltzman, A. and Willard, C. T. (Eds.) Mindfulness with Youth: From the Classroom to the Clinic. Guilford Press, 137-154.
- Ucok-Sayrak, O. & Garrett, E. (2013). Grounding Globalization: Theory, Communication, and Service-Learning. In Nganga, L., Kambutu, J. and Russell, W. B. (Eds.) Exploring Globalization Opportunities and Challenges in Social Studies: Effective Instructional Approaches. Peter Lang, 67-77.
- Encyclopedia Entries (2012 - Present)
- Ucok-Sayrak, O. (2018). Thich Nhat Hanh: Mindfulness. In Arnett, R.C.,
- Holba, A. Mancino, S. (Eds). An Encyclopedia of Communication Ethics: Goods in Contention. Peter Lang, 202-206
- Ucok-Sayrak, O. (2018) Intercultural communication: critical approaches and future challenges, Language and Intercultural Communication,
- DOI: 10.1080/14708477.2018.1497434
- Creative Teaching Award, Duquesne University, Center for Teaching Excellence, 2018-2019.
- Wimmer Faculty Grant, Duquesne University, 2016
Editorial Board Member, Qualitative Research Reports in Communication.
Fall 2016- Student Conduct Board Member.
Faculty Co-Advisor: PRSSA Duquense University Chapter, 2014-present.
Debate Coach, Fall 2013 - Spring 2014.
Internship Coordinator, Fall 2013 - Spring 2014.
Student Panel Organizer: Service Learning and Exploring Intercultural Communication; Globalization, Ethics and Culture (Silverman Center, Duquesne University), 2011 - 2012.