Dr. Covvey earned her Doctor of Pharmacy from the University of Kentucky, and then completed residency training at Virginia Commonwealth University Health System (VCUHS). She subsequently achieved board certification in pharmacotherapy (BCPS) and was selected as a recipient of a Fulbright grant to complete a Doctor of Philosophy at the University of Strathclyde Institute of Pharmacy and Biomedical Sciences in Glasgow, Scotland. Her PhD focused on the use of routinely collected clinical data for quality improvement in the treatment of asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.
Dr Covvey joined the School of Pharmacy faculty in 2014. She has didactic teaching responsibilities in both the PharmD and graduate programs and across campus in interdisciplinary courses. She serves as a preceptor for research-oriented advanced pharmacy practice experiences (APPEs) for PharmD students and for academia/research rotations for pharmacy residents.
- Ph.D., Pharmacy, University of Strathclyde (Scotland), 2014
- PGY1, Pharmacy Practice, Virginia Commonwealth University Health System, 2011
- Pharm.D., University of Kentucky, 2010
Research Interests or Expertise
Dr. Covvey's research interests are broad and focus on quality improvement in medication prescribing, utilization, and associated health outcomes. Her work extends across several clinical areas, including internal and emergency medicine, mental illness, substance use, infectious disease, oncology, obesity, and pain management.
- PHBA 310: The American Healthcare System
- PHBA 311: Public Health and Epidemiology
- PHPR 448: Drug Literature Evaluation
- PHBA 423: Perspectives in Global Health (elective)
- Research APPE experiences and independent studies
- Global Health Spring Break-Away experiences
- GPSC 519: Healthcare Databases
- GPSC 588W: Social and Behavioral Aspects of Pharmacy
- GPSC 589W: Research Methods in Pharmacy Administration
- GPSC 697/8: Graduate Seminar
- GLBH 185: Introduction to Global Health Studies
- ATHT 404: Health & Medicine I
- UPNS 351: Global Health Immersion: Costa Rica
- Associate Editor, Journal of the American Pharmacists Association, Jun 2021-present.
- Chair-elect/Chair/Immediate Past Chair, AACP SIG Cabinet Administrative Board, Dec 2020-present.
- Faculty Award, Duquesne University School of Pharmacy, May 2019.
- Editorial Advisory Board Member, Journal of the American Pharmacists Association, Mar 2018-Jun 2021.
- Chair-elect/Chair/Immediate Past Chair, AACP Public Health SIG, Jul 2016-2019.
- Fulbright-Strathclyde Postgraduate Research Award, Sep 2011-2014.
- Kaplin-Passamanek Award, University of Kentucky, May 2010.
- Merck Award, University of Kentucky, May 2010.
- Clinical Skills Competition Top 10 national finalist, ASHP, Dec 2009.
- Professional Promotion Award, KPhA, Jun 2009.
- Doughty-Hartman Award, University of Kentucky, Apr 2009.
- Student Engaged Service Award, AACP, Feb 2009.