Diversity, Inclusion, Justice & Equality
The construct of gender shapes social orders, human institutions and individual experiences. The Center for Women’s and Gender Studies (WGS) recognizes the importance of diversity and the consequences of differential power and opportunity. Our program will provide you with an introduction into the rapidly expanding areas of scholarship focused on gender, embodiment and sexuality that are transforming scholarship in virtually every academic discipline today.
An Inter-/Multi-Disciplinary Center
In studying Women's and Gender Studies (WGS) at Duquesne, you will gain valuable insight into the gendered structures of society. You'll be introduced to the rapidly expanding areas of scholarship focused on gender, embodiment and sexuality that are transforming scholarship in virtually every academic discipline today.
In pursuing a program in Women's and Gender Studies, students will learn:
- How the construct of gender identity shapes an individual's and/or community's experiences
- How writers, artists, scholars, researchers and clinical practitioners represent or respond to those gendered experiences
- How institutions and structures of power shape an individual's and/or community's experiences of gender, embodiment and sexuality
- How to engage with the established field of women's and gender studies and the body of scholarship it has produced
- How gender studies can revise critical methods in many other scholarly fields
Careers and Women's & Gender Studies
A degree in Women's and Gender Studies prepares you to use the insight and experience you've gained to excel in a variety of careers. Having a Women's & Gender Studies background elevates your ability to work with social service groups, legal services, educational institutions, healthcare settings, religious organizations, nonprofits, communication groups and scientific communities. By combining the WGS major or minor with majors from biology and pharmacy to business, law, or other majors in the liberal arts, you will be prepared for any career path you're interested in after graduation.
A WGS Story