2022 is our 94th year!
The Women's Guild of Duquesne University has made significant contributions to the physical growth of the University and to the academic development of its students.
Although the Guild was not officially organized until 1928, its roots can be traced to 1926 when Mrs. William C. Eichenlaub, one of the early presidents of the Guild, gathered a group of women together to make altar clothes and vestments.
The organization was officially founded in October 1928 by Miss M. Gertrude Blanchard, Dean of Women and University Librarian. At first, membership in the Guild was restricted to mothers of freshman women. Later the mothers of freshman men were invited to join, and eventually membership was extended to Duquesne alumnae and friends of the University.
One of the Guild's early projects was the establishment of a scholarship fund for women students, which was later made available to men students. In 1935, the Guild gave financial aid to the nurses library fund and also sponsored a sisters religious student loan. In 1936, the members sewed for the University Chapel and also did relief work for the victims of the Johnstown flood.
Each function held by the Guild has been for the benefit of the University and its students, and the annual Pink Geranium Party was an important part of the tradition. The first party was held at the Old Wabash Station, and subsequent parties were held at the Schenley Hotel, the University Gymnasium, the Equitable Gas Company, Rockwell Hall, and, eventually in the Duquesne Union Ballroom where it is held today.