Orientations for Faculty and Graduate Students
The Center for Teaching Excellence offers programs to welcome and orient all who are new to the teaching community at Duquesne, as well as colleagues who are making the transition to a new role (e.g., moving from adjunct or TA to full-time faculty). Take a look at Getting Started: Teaching at Duquesne.
Adjunct Faculty Orientation
Online Self-Paced Asynchronous Orientation
The Center for Teaching Excellence (CTE) hosts an online asynchronous orientation for all incoming adjunct faculty members. The orientation is self-paced and introduces participants to the university mission and information about course design, student engagement, and teaching resources and policies. Invitations will be sent from CTE. Please contact CTE (firstname.lastname@example.org or 412.396.5177) with any questions.
Full-Time Faculty Orientation
Monday, Aug 16, 2021, 8 a.m. to 3:15 p.m.
The Center for Teaching Excellence (CTE) hosts an orientation for all incoming full-time faculty members. This year's program is scheduled for Monday, August 16 in the Africa Room in the Duquesne Union. More information will be sent to you in the coming weeks from CTE. Please contact CTE (email@example.com or 412.396.5177) with any questions.
CTE Orientation for Graduate Assistants with Teaching Responsibilities*
Synchronous Session via Zoom, Thursday, Aug. 19, 2021, 10 a.m. to 11:15 a.m.
This orientation focuses on effective college teaching in the Duquesne University context. Please complete the asynchronous sessions prior to the synchronous session on Aug. 19. Additional information and links to all sessions will be emailed. Please contact Erin Rentschler (at firstname.lastname@example.org) or Bethany Kaser (at email@example.com) with any questions.
CTE co-sponsored orientation events for graduate students
The International Teaching Assistant Orientation* (for TAs from all departments who come from outside the USA)* is co-sponsored by the English as a Second Language Program and CTE. Details are being finalized for orientation for international teaching assistants. Please contact Erin Rentschler (at firstname.lastname@example.org or 412.396.1760) with any questions.
- The International Teaching Assistant Orientation includes a discussion of the culture of college teaching in the USA and guidance on preparing for the “TEACH” test videotaping that is required of all nonnative speakers of English.
- For additional information, contact Cynthia Lennox at email@example.com.
Bayer School of Environmental Science Graduate Teaching Assistants*
- The orientation for Bayer Graduate Teaching Assistants usually occurs the week before classes begin in August.
- For information, contact Heather Costello at 412.396.6339 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
School of Pharmacy Graduate Teaching Assistants*
- The orientation for Pharmacy Graduate Teaching Assistants usually occurs the week before classes begin in August.
- For information, contact Nancy Hosni in the School of Pharmacy (email@example.com)
Mary Pappert School of Music*
- For information, contact Thomas Carsecka, Director of Music Admissions at 412.396.5064 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- *Attendance at the graduate teaching assistant orientations is required by the Provost for incoming GAs with teaching responsibilities.