Katie Westbrook 5K Race & Dog Walk
In Memory of Katie
The Duquesne University School of Law student body dedicates this race in memory of Katie Westbrook, whose dream at age 13 was to become a lawyer. Unfortunately, she was diagnosed with a rare bone cancer, which took her life at age 15, just a few hours before she was to receive an honorary degree from Duquesne University School of Law.
Although Katie was never able to fulfill her dream of becoming an attorney, we honor her memory and dream to become a Duquesne Lawyer, with all race proceeds benefitting the Public Interest Law Scholarships.
If you are interested in becoming a race sponsor or donating a race day prize item, please contact Beth Bauer at email@example.com.
Thank you in advance for your help and support in keeping this race a successful event each year.
The 19th Annual Katie Westbrook 5K Race & Dog Walk
We are excited to announce that this year's race, due to Covid-19 restrictions, will be VIRTUAL! It will also be held a little later than usual in mid to late October, as the Bar Exam has been pushed ahead to the beginning of October. We want to include all of the people studying, and didn't want to disrupt them!
Another bonus - we will be running a virtual Mini-Public Interest Law Association (PILA) Auction along with the race! All funds raised from both the race and the auction will go to help fund Public Interest Law Scholarships for our law students. These new, exciting developments are going to take a little extra planning this year, so check back right here for updates and registration information when it becomes available!
Virtual Race Rules:
1. "Like" our Facebook page, Annual Katie Westbrook 5K & Dog Walk.
2. Register online here ($5.00 for ANY student ANYWHERE, $10.00 for all other participants, kids 5 and under AND dogs are free):
3. FOR RACERS - Submit your best race time via screenshot/photo to the Facebook Page (see Rule 1) that was captured between October 10 - Noon on October 24, 2020. Screenshot can be from any device, software or app that records your distance, time, and shows the date. WE KNOW that this data can be easily manipulated, we are relying on the Honor System.
FOR DOG WALKERS - Submit a picture of you and your dog on a walk for Katie Westbrook to the Facebook Page between October 10 - Noon on October 24, 2020. Please include the dog(s) name(s), as this is their entry ticket in to the Good Boy/Good Girl Dog Raffle.
FOR WALKERS - Submit a picture of you walking if you're walking alone, or a picture of your group walking to the Facebook Page between October 10 - Noon on October 24, 2020.
4. Have Fun!!! Submit training/racing/walking photos to the Facebook Page starting now, through October 24th. Photos and comments will show on the page only after approval. Please submit only once.
5. All winners of the race and of the PILA Auction items will be announced on October 24th via Facebook Live Stream. Watch the Facebook Page for updates and details. Winners will also be published on this page and the Facebook page after the Live Streaming event.
Please download and enjoy this Spotify playlist, created by requests* from the race and dog walk registrants (Thanks to Ell Connally, 3L, for creating this for us!) *Please note: most songs that were requested are included. We had to exclude those who didn't fit the family-friendly vibe of the event, and those which we could not find a compatible, censored version to use in the playlist.
Mini-PILA Auction Rules:
1. Go to the auction website https://www.32auctions.com/pila
2. Check out our listings! No log-in registration is required on the site to look. Create a log-in and password to bid. Bidding begins at 1:00 a.m. on Saturday, October 10th. Bidding ends at Noon on Saturday, October 24th.
3. Bid Bid Bid! Tell your friends and family! Bid with a friend...our listings have a lot to offer and to share!
4. When you win, Beth Bauer firstname.lastname@example.org will email you shortly afterwards with payment instructions and options, and to determine if you will pick your prize up from the law school, or confirm an address to mail to.
***Please note*** Every effort was made to confirm that the businesses that provided gift cards are still operational and still accepting the gift cards/certificates that they donated to this event. All gift card/certificates/companies have been verified as of 10-1-2020.