Music Technology: Sound Recording
Bachelor of Music in Music Technology
Students pursuing the B.M. in Music Technology learn cutting-edge techniques rooted in traditional and historic technologies. All students combine applied music study with hands-on experience in multimedia labs and recording studios.
What Makes Duquesne's Music Tech Program Unique?
- Our faculty are nationally-acclaimed and have won multiple GRAMMY Awards
- Our students are performing musicians in addition to their technology studies. A variety of ensembles, including an Electronic Ensemble, are available to students in all majors
- Our music technology degree focuses on the development of musical and professional skills in sound recording and music production while cultivating an business-oriented awareness of the indsutry.
- Our School is home to chapters of both the Audio Engineering Society and the Society of Composers, Inc.
- Our graduates succeed
A degree in Music Technology provides students with advanced skills that set them apart from their contemporaries and helps foster a music career with multiple and diverse opportunities for professional success.
Our students have access to the a range of equipment to learn with, including a brand-new Solid State Logic AWS 948 recording console.
- Solid State Logic AWS 948 - 48 x 8 x 2 large format recording console
- ProTools HD/Avid interfaces
- Sony R7 Reverberator
- TC Electronics TC 2000
- TC Electronics M-One
- Yamaha SPX 990
- DBX 266 Comp/Limiter
- Symetric 522 Comp/Limiter
- Otari Status 18 R Analogue Console
- Ampex ATR 100 Tape Recorder
- Otari MX 50/50 Tape Recorders and Editing Machines
- Tascam DM4800 Digital Console
- McIntosh Amp
- McIntosh Speakers
- JBL Surround Speakers
- Mini Moog
- Roland VP-7 Vocoder
Each of our studios uses ProTools and Sequoia Digital Audio Workstations. In the Fender Electronic Studio, students can work on sequencing, editing, mixing and mastering audio productions, sound design for film and video, and our Music Technology Lab allows students to have individual access to these programs at a digital audio workstation (DAW) to work on projects and class assignments.
- Ableton Live
- Finale Music Notation
- Garage Band
- Logic Pro
- Software Synths & Samplers (Mach 5, Omnisphere, Stylus, Trillian)
- Virtual Instrument Libraries (East West - Ethnic Collection, Ivory - Pianos)
- Waves Plug-ins (Gold collection)
Music Technology students have access to a Microphone Locker, stocked with a wide variety of microphones to use for recording sessions.
- AKG D112
- AKG 414
- AKG 451
- Neumann TLM 170
- DPA 2011
- DPA 4006
- Sennheiser 441
- Sennheiser 421
- Shure SM58
- Shure SM57
Students gain experience and fluency in all of our technology studios, which include a tracking room tied to all performance spaces in the building including an Orchestral Sound Stage capable of up to 60 micing locations and a mastering suite for critical listening, mixing, and mastering. Access to these spaces begin in the very first semester of study. A balanced approach of hands-on work as well as theoretical lecture helps the student develop habits and work flow strategies that frees them to be expressive as a music technology artist.