Second Degree BSN Admissions (Fall start only)
Applicants please note:
Individuals planning to practice in Pennsylvania who have been convicted of any crime (felony or misdemeanor) in any court or who have any criminal charges pending/unresolved may be prohibited from licensure or re-licensure as a Registered Nurse OR may be mandated to complete additional requirements in order to be eligible for licensure, as determined by the PA State Board of Nursing. Any student with such a history must contact the PA State Board of Nursing Bureau of Health Professionals Monitoring (717-783-4857) for guidance prior to enrollment.
Students who plan on applying for licensure outside of the state of Pennsylvania should contact the State Board of Nursing in their respective state.
Please review these important Deadline Dates
In order for your application to be reviewed by the Admissions Committee you must meet the following requirements:
- BS or BA degree from an accredited college or university (degree requirements can be in progress with an anticipated degree conferral date prior to the start of the program).
- Undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale. The Admissions Committee may consider recent courses that provide evidence of your academic ability to succeed in this accelerated program.
- All prerequisites must be successfully completed prior to the start of the program. The admissions committee recommends that you complete as many of the required science prerequisites that you can prior to submitting your application. These prerequisites are the foundational basis for your nursing education. For success in this accelerated program, you must have a solid understanding of the content in the prerequisite courses.
- A non-refundable deposit of $500 is required to become a student.
- Students must meet the Technical Standards for Admission.
You may apply to the Second Degree BSN program prior to completing the prerequisite coursework. Prerequisite coursework must be completed prior to fall enrollment with a grade of "C" or higher (a "C-" will not be accepted.)
Completed in the last 5 years:
- Anatomy and Physiology I with lab - 4 credits
- Anatomy and Physiology II with lab - 4 credits
Completed in the last 10 years:
- Biology or Chemistry (100 level or higher) with lab - 4 credits
- Microbiology with lab - 4 credits
- Nutrition - 3 credits
- Statistics - 3 credits
- Human Growth and Development (across the lifespan) - 3 credits
or similar course covering the following material:
Theories of human development from conception through death with emphasis placed on an individual's psychological, cognitive, psychosocial, and spiritual development within the context of the family, community, and culture. (a syllabus is required for courses that have another course title).
The prerequisite coursework may completed at any accredited college or university. Online coursework is acceptable.
Duquesne University School of Nursing accepts the online courses offered by Portage Learning for our Second Degree program.
The prerequisite courses may not be waived or substituted.
The application and supporting documents (see below) must be submitted to the School of Nursing by the deadline date. The Rolling Admissions Policy permits applicants to receive notification of admission decisions soon after a complete application is received. Therefore, it is strongly advised that you submit your application early.
1. Complete the online Application for Undergraduate Admission
2. Please upload to your application portal:
- Completed Prerequisite Requirement Completion/Summary Form
- Curriculum vitae (CV) or resume (suggested)
Applicants are responsible for ensuring that all required documents are submitted. No final decision can be made on any application until all required documentation is on file.
3. Request official transcripts from ALL PREVIOUS undergraduate and graduate work to be sent directly to the School of Nursing.
(DO NOT SEND TO THE UNIVERSITY OFFICE OF ADMISSIONS)
- If you have ever attended Duquesne University, the University Registrar's Office will automatically forward an official transcript for any Duquesne University coursework directly to the School of Nursing on your behalf. This transcript will be provided as a courtesy and free of charge. No transcripts from schools other than Duquesne University will be forwarded from the University Registrar's Office. You will need to request other transcripts from the originating school(s).
Duquesne University School of Nursing
Second Degree Application
600 Forbes Avenue
Pittsburgh PA 15282
Send by Escript to SecondDegreeBSN@duq.edu
4. Choose a program of study: 12 month or 16 month format. Go here to compare the curriculum for each program of study. Please note, you have until the first week of class to change your program of study plan. Contact Gina Plocki if you decide to change your initial choice.