Pharmacy-Based Immunization Delivery Program–An APhA Certificate Program
Registration closes one week prior to the program date OR once the program reaches full capacity. Please register and submit payment early to reserve your spot.
We are excited to offer the APhA Pharmacy Based Immunization Delivery Program virtually! By attending the course virtually, participants are not required to travel to Duquesne University and have the ability to complete the injection technique assessment independently with their own evaluator (more details below).
Pharmacists have been integral as the healthcare community continues to navigate the COVID-19 pandemic response. With the development of new vaccines, pharmacists have an opportunity to lead in the provision of COVID vaccines along with other recommended vaccines to the communities we serve daily. It is our hope by offering the training certificate program virtually, we will be able to train and empower pharmacists across the nation to assist in filling the vital need for our patients.
Please see below for program requirements and information. Additional information about the APhA Pharmacy Based Immunization Delivery Program can be found here.
We look forward to providing this program to pharmacists using innovative technology. There are currently over 300,000 pharmacists providing immunizations to patients. We are excited for the opportunity for you to join them.
Self-Study (Must Complete BEFORE Live Seminar)
12 Hours of CE Credit
The self-study learning activity is designed to ensure that all participants have an understanding of vaccine-preventable diseases and the role of pharmacists as vaccine advocates and administrators. There are five learning modules that present in-depth information on immunology, practice implementation, and legal and regulatory issues as noted below, with appropriate references to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) resource publication, Epidemiology and Prevention of Vaccine-Preventable Disease. The self-study program includes a self-assessment test and real-life case studies that are designed to help reinforce and evaluate participants' understanding of key information and concepts.
More information regarding how to access Self Study materials will be provided after your registration and payment for the program have been confirmed.
8 Hours of Live CE Credit, 9:00 AM–5:00 PM
The live training seminar is based on the experience of practitioners involved in immunization advocacy and administration. The training seminar reinforces and expands on the self-study program and addresses areas such as immunization needs, legal and regulatory issues, and injection-technique training.
Participants must be present for the duration of the 8 hours with video on, and audio accessible in order to receive credit.
Injection Technique Assessment – Now offered in-person or remotely!
Participants will be expected to practice giving 2 intramuscular and 1 subcutaneous injection.
Remote Injection Technique Assessment:
- Participants have 7 days following the live session to complete the injection technique assessment independently with their evaluator and submit required video and documents.
- Due to the virtual nature of the program, it is the responsibility of the participant to identify an "evaluator" and obtain the required supplies.
- Required supplies can be mailed for $20.00 (Optional) Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if interested after receiving registration confirmation
In Person Injection Technique Assessment:
- Please reach out to coordinator if interested in scheduling time on campus to complete injection technique assessment
- Participants may be required to identify and bring their own volunteer to receive the injections.
- Supplies will be provided for $10.00
See below for evaluator and material requirements
- Your evaluator can be anyone who has the current scope of practice to immunize (e.g, a trained pharmacist, a nurse, etc.).
- Must assess based on the technique taught in class
- Your evaluator must observe you successfully give another adult person two intramuscular and one subcutaneous injection and complete the Injection Technique Assessment Form (instructions and form will be provided)
Participants will need to acquire the assessment supplies on your own which include the following:
- Gloves (minimum 1 pair)
- 1 mL or 3 mL x 25G x 1-inch safety syringes for intramuscular injections (minimum 2)
- 1 mL or 3 mL x 25G x 5/8-inch safety syringes for subcutaneous injections (minimum 1)
- Band aids (minimum 3)
- Alcohol swabs (minimum 4)
- Cotton balls or gauze pads (minimum 3)
- Sodium chloride 0.9%, single dose vial, 10 mL or smaller (minimum 1)
- Access to sharps container
- Screening questions worksheet - provided in materials
- Influenza Vaccine Information Statement (VIS) - provided in materials
Post Live Seminar Activities
Upon successful completion of the Injection Technique Assessment, you will be provided an Attendance Code which will have a very short deadline to redeem. This code will give you access to complete the final exam and evaluation of the program. There is no time limit to complete this 45 question final exam. It does NOT need to be done in one sitting. You have two attempts to pass with 70% or greater.
Upon successful completion of final exam, participants will be able to download their certificate.
Still have more questions? Please review our Frequently Asked Questions Document
Eligibility to attend virtual APhA Pharmacy Based Immunization Course with Duquesne University:
- Pharmacist (licensed or unlicensed), Foreign Graduate Pharmacy Intern, Graduate Pharmacy Intern
- Student pharmacist currently enrolled within a school/college of pharmacy who have completed all prerequisites required by their respective PharmD program to attend the course
- Other health care professionals with the scope of practice to administer immunizations
- Since this course is offered virtually, participants can attend from any geographic location. The APhA Pharmacy Based Immunization Certificate is a nationally recognized certificate by boards of pharmacy.
**If you have any questions or concerns regarding eligibility, please reach out to email@example.com.
Zoom Technology Requirements
Participants will be provided a zoom registration link to access the Live Seminar. Participants should ensure they are able to use Zoom audio and video technology in advance of the Live Seminar. Use links below to find more information about downloading Zoom, and testing audio and video functionalities.
The American Pharmacists Association is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education as a provider of continuing pharmacy education. The home-study portion of the Pharmacy-Based Immunization Delivery certificate training program is approved for 12 contact hours (1.2 CEUs) of continuing pharmacy education credit (UAN 0202-9999-20-179-H06-P). The live training seminar is approved for 8 contact hours (0.8 CEU) of continuing pharmacy education credit (UAN 0202-9999-20-180-L06-P).
Initial Release Date: March 30, 2020
Expiration Date: March 20, 2023 - PLEASE NOTE: NO Home Study credit granted after this date; Live Credit can only be granted within 60 days from the day of the seminar attended.
Pharmacy-Based Immunization Delivery: A Certificate Training Program for Pharmacists was developed by the American Pharmacists Association. © 2017 by the American Pharmacists Association.
Tiffany Hatcher, Pharm.D.
Assistant Professor of Pharmacy Practice
Bob Laux, B.S. Pharm, Pharm.D., BCPS
Assistant Professor of Pharmacy Practice
Elizabeth Bunk, Pharm.D.
Manager, Center for Pharmacy Care
All communications will be sent to the email address submitted at the time of registration. It is the participant's responsibility to ensure that the email address submitted is correct. If you need to communicate with the Certificate Program coordinator, please communicate using the email address used for registration.
Reservations for the program cannot be held until the registration fee is received. Cancellations received in writing (via email) at least seven days prior to the program will receive a refund minus a $25 cancellation fee if an access code to learning material was not processed. If the access code was processed, a refund minus a $150 cancellation fee will be provided. Please contact the program coordinator if you need to cancel your registration.
Duquesne University reserves the right to cancel the program at any point in time. In that event, each participant will be notified via email and a full refund will be made.