Duquesne University offers test-optional admission to applicants for whom the SAT or ACT may not be a fair predictor of academic success based upon their motivations and high school academic accomplishments.

Answers to Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Q: What programs are eligible for test-optional admission?

A: Currently, all majors are offering a test-optional opportunity.

Q: How do I apply as a test-optional candidate?

A: When prompted, indicate your intention on your application for admission to Duquesne.

Q: What are the other requirements for admission?

A: Duquesne University has always taken a comprehensive approach to the undergraduate admission process. The movement to test-optional admission for the majority of our academic programs does not change that. We'll continue to consider factors like high school curriculum, academic achievement, demonstrated leadership ability, extracurricular involvement and volunteer experience when determining who will benefit from a Duquesne education and contribute to our vibrant community of learners. Applicants considered for test-optional admission generally have a minimum 3.0 GPA at the time of enrollment.

Q. I have standardized test scores. Should I apply as test-optional?

A. If you have SAT/ACT scores, we encourage you to submit them as part of your application process. If you feel that they don't reflect your academic performance (GPA, class rank, etc.) you can opt to apply test-optional. If you applied as test-optional and have more recently taken/retaken a test, you can revise your application to not be test-optional.

Q. What about AP (Advanced Placement) scores, IB (International Baccalaureate) scores, etc.?

A. You've worked hard and challenged yourself, and we want to reward you for your accomplishments. Learn more about how Duquesne University awards credit for AP and IB scores. And while not required to receive an admission decision, we strongly encourage applicants to share with us any and all academic accomplishments they may have at the time of application.


Office of Undergraduate Admissions