A shared mailbox allows individuals to send and receive emails from a single address that is not associated with their University email account. These mailboxes are ideal for campus departments, offices or organizations.
On this page
- Request a shared mailbox
- Shared mailbox permissions
- Set up and use a shared mailbox
- Frequently asked questions (FAQ)
Request a shared mailbox
Employees can request a shared mailbox by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information:
- Mailbox address: The part that goes in front of "@duq.edu."
- Mailbox name: What people will see if they look up your shared mailbox in Outlook.
- Owner(s) of the shared mailbox: The University email addresses of each person who will manage the shared mailbox.
- Users: The University email addresses of everyone who needs access to the shared mailbox and what permissions each person will need.
- Mailbox duration: Indicate whether the mailbox is permanent or temporary. If temporary, please include the date the mailbox is needed until.
Shared mailbox permissions
The owner of shared mailbox can request mailbox access for other employees either during their initial mailbox request or by sending an email to email@example.com. In this email, please include each employee's name and the level of permissions they will need. Below are the mailbox permissions levels that can be assigned to an employee.
- Full Access: Allows you to open a shared mailbox, view and delete emails, and view and manage calendar appointments. This permission level is assigned to the mailbox owner(s).
- Send As: Allows you to open a shared mailbox, send emails on behalf of a mailbox, view and delete emails, and view and manage calendar appointments.
- No Send: Allows you to open a shared mailbox, view and delete emails, and view and manage calendar appointments.
Set up and use a shared mailbox
Please review our shared mailbox documentation for steps on how to set up and use a shared mailbox in either Microsoft Outlook or Outlook Web App (OWA).
What is the storage limit for a shared mailbox?
A shared mailbox has a storage limit of 50 gigabytes (GB).
Can I send encrypted emails from a shared mailbox?
No, shared mailboxes do not support encryption.
How can I transfer ownership of a shared mailbox?
Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org that includes the shared mailbox address and the new owner's name and email address.