The Trauma Informed Community Development (TICD) Institute is a major initiative of our Catholicism and the Common Good grant project and was developed by Duquesne counselor Dr. Matt Walsh and FOCUS Pittsburgh Director Rev. Paul Abernathy. The TICD Institute provides training for community development professionals to help them educate residents on trauma's protective and risk factors, and create solutions to violence in their neighborhoods.
In 2019, the Institute was held June 9 -15 and hosted three dozen participants comprising six cohorts from around the country:
- MetroHealth Medical Center, Cleveland, OH
- Peace4Crawford, Titusville, PA
- Neighborhood Housing Services of New Britain, Inc., New Britain, CT
- Trauma-Informed Sarasota Community Group, Sarasota, FL
- Wind River Family & Community Health Care System, Wind River, WY
- Greater Valley Community Services, Woodland Hills, PA
In addition to Dr. Walsh and Fr. Abernathy, facilitators included Duquesne University faculty and local community leaders and organizers.