Faculty and graduate students manage multiple roles on campus and at home. Part of their success is learning to maintain a healthy balance between professional and personal life. This requires attentiveness and diligence.
Managing your Teaching Life: Using Time Well
Duquesne University provides the following resources to help each individual define his or her own ideal life-work balance.
Center for Teaching Excellence
Consultation is available on teaching and faculty careers as well as programs related to balancing your various roles.
University Counseling Center
UCC staff regularly help instructors understand and delimit their role in responding to students who are facing difficult issues. They also co-sponsor events with the Center for Teaching Excellence.
Spiritan Campus Ministry
Offers masses, luncheons (e.g., during Lent), and small group studies.
Child Care On Campus – Collegiate YMCA at 412-396-5183
- Boice, Robert, "Quick Starters: New Faculty Who Succeed". New Directions for Teaching and Learning. 48, ( 1991): 110-121.
- Inside Higher Ed Blog - Mama Ph.D. Mothers attempting to balance parenthood and academics
- Integrating Work and Life: A Vision for a Changing Academy
- The Changing Lives of Faculty, a special issue of Change: The Magazine of Higher Learning, November/December 2005.
- Walking the TA Tightrope (from a Fall 2004 Duquesne University session) gives practical tips for using your time and energy well.