SCALE: Small Changes Advancing LEarning
Discover the power of small changes in teaching and learning that are:
- Known to benefit students equitably
- Achievable by instructors in varied contexts
- Open to creativity
- Based on principles of learning
This CTE initiative is inspired by
- James Lang's, Small Changes in Teaching series, and his book, Small Teaching: Everyday Lessons from the Science of Learning (2016)
- AAC&U High-Impact Practices: Eight Key Elements and Examples
- TILT Higher Ed - Transparency in Learning and Teaching Project
"Smaller changes seem far better! They don't lead to destroying things that are here, but build upon them. It's not the ‘throw out' culture and making change just for change sake."
Duquesne participant at 2016 Transparent Assignment Design workshop
SCALE UP Micro-Workshops
A series of 30-minute workshops designed to accommodate busy schedules. These micro-workshops highlight a teaching and learning topic and provide simple but effective strategies that can be incorporated into a course without much, if any, disruption of the course design. Each workshop occurs twice in the same week. You do not need to attend both days. Prior to the workshops, there will be time to meet, collaborate and eat with colleagues.