Orientations for Faculty and Graduate Students
The Center for Teaching Excellence offers programs to welcome and orient all who are new to the teaching community at Duquesne, as well as colleagues who are making the transition to a new role (e.g., moving from adjunct or TA to full-time faculty). Take a look at Getting Started: Teaching at Duquesne.
The Fall orientation will be held August 15, 2019 from 4:30-8:00pm (Duquesne Union, Room 119). A light dinner is provided. If extenuating circumstances prevent you from attending the orientation, please contact CTE (at firstname.lastname@example.org or 412.396.5177) so that we can make alternative arrangements.
The purpose of the full-time faculty orientation is to prepare faculty to thrive in teaching, serving and conducting research in the context of the Duquesne University Mission. The 2019 orientation will be held on Monday, August 19 from 8:00am to 3:00pm in the Power Center Ballroom. More details will follow. If extenuating circumstances prevent you from attending the orientation, please contact CTE (at email@example.com or 412.396.5177) so that we can make alternative arrangements.
CTE Orientation for Graduate Assistants with Teaching Responsibilities*
This orientation focuses on effective college teaching in the Duquesne University context. The 2019 orientation for all new GAs with teaching responsibilities will be held on August 21-22, from 8:30-1:30 in Fisher Hall 324/325. A light breakfast and lunch will be provided on both days.
CTE co-sponsored orientation events for graduate students
The International Teaching Assistant Orientation* (for TAs from all departments who come from outside the USA)* is co-sponsored by the English as a Second Language Program and CTE. The orientation is generally held the Monday evening the week before classes begin.
- The International Teaching Assistant Orientation includes a discussion of the culture of college teaching in the USA and guidance on preparing for the “TEACH” test videotaping that is required of all nonnative speakers of English.
- For additional information, contact Susan Todhunter at 412.396.5092 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Bayer School of Environmental Science Graduate Teaching Assistants*
- The orientation for Bayer Graduate Teaching Assistants usually occurs the week before classes begin in August.
- For information, contact Heather Costello at 412.396.6339 or email@example.com.
School of Pharmacy Graduate Teaching Assistants*
- The orientation for Pharmacy Graduate Teaching Assistants usually occurs the week before classes begin in August.
- For information, contact Amy Stroyne at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mary Pappert School of Music*
- For information, contact Thomas Carsecka, Director of Music Admissions at 412.396.5064 or email@example.com
- *Attendance at the graduate teaching assistant orientations is required by the Provost for incoming GAs with teaching responsibilities.