Save These Dates!
October 21-22, 2018
In this time of divisive politics and incendiary current events, the National Conference on the First Amendment: Bedrock of American Freedoms seeks to create a common ground. With help from some of the best minds in the country, the conference will challenge us to rediscover the central role that the First Amendment plays in our American democracy, at this poignant moment in our nation’s history.
This conference will devote attention to the freedom of the press, free speech, freedom of religion, freedom of assembly/association, and cutting-edge topics related to the modern age of new technology, social media and more. Our goal is to open a national dialogue focusing on the First Amendment as a foundational value that all Americans share and support regardless of political or ideological views.
Speakers and panelists include nationally known experts in journalism, politics, law, higher education and civic advocacy, including:
- Dean P. Baquet, Executive Editor of The New York Times
- Martin Baron, Executive Editor of The Washington Post
- Juan Williams, Fox News Contributor
- Richard Gingras, Vice President of Google News
- Noel Francisco, U.S. Solicitor General
- Floyd Abrams, one of the nation’s leading authorities on First Amendment law
- Alan Dershowitz, renowned lawyer and scholar, Harvard University (via Skype)
How to Register
This event is free of charge and will be held at Duquesne University's Power Center Ballroom. Stay tuned for the full schedule of conference sessions, which will be announced when registration opens in September.