The Doctor of Nurse Anesthesia Practice (DNAP) program is for experienced critical care RNs who hold a bachelor's degree. To qualify for the DNAP program, you must:
- Hold a current, unencumbered RN license in the United States, its territories or protectorates
- Hold a baccalaureate degree (BSN or BS) from an accredited college or university with a 3.2 GPA or higher
- Have a minimum of 2 years of nursing experience in an adult critical care setting
- Have current BCLS, ACLS and PALS certifications completed by the start of the program
- Have completed the following undergraduate course work within the last 10 years (5
years preferred) with a grade of “B” or higher:
- Human Anatomy and Physiology I and II with labs, 8 credits
- Chemistry with lab, 4 credits
- Pharmacology, 3 credits
- Statistics, 3 credits
- Research/ Evidence-Based Practice, 3 credits
It is strongly recommended that applicants shadow CRNAs in different locations.
Fall 2024 application deadline is January 15, 2024. Please ensure that you include the following information with your application. Once your application is complete, you may be invited to a personal interview with the Admission Committee. Once accepted to the program, a non-refundable $1,000 deposit is required.
Application Fee: Applicants will be charged a $50 fee. Please mail a check to: Allegheny School of Anesthesia, 320 East North Avenue, 5th Floor, South Tower, Pittsburgh, PA 15212. Call (412) 442-2188, if you have any questions.
Professional References: The application will prompt you to submit contact information for three professional references (an automatic form will be sent to your references) from individuals who can speak to your clinical ability. Recommended references:
- A current Nurse Manager
- A current Nursing Supervisor
- An individual who is familiar with your clinical competency, i.e. physician, previous employer, etc.
Resume & Goal Statement: Submit your resume or curriculum vitae and your 1-page goal statement through the
Duquesne applicant portal. The goal statement topic: "Why do you wish to pursue the DNAP and what qualities do you possess that you believe
will aid in your success in earning this degree."
Transcripts: Request your official transcript(s) from all previous colleges/universities for undergraduate and graduate work.
Please send all transcripts directly to the School of Nursing:
- By Escript: nursingFREEDUQUESNE
- OR, by Mail:
Duquesne University School of Nursing
Doctor of Nurse Anesthesia Program Application
600 Forbes Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15282
If you have ever attended Duquesne University, the University Registrar's Office will automatically forward an official transcript for any Duquesne University coursework to the School of Nursing on your behalf. This transcript will be provided as a courtesy and free of charge. No transcripts from schools other than Duquesne University will be forwarded from the University Registrar's Office. You will need to request other transcripts from the originating school(s).
Coursework earned outside the United States
Applicants with nursing credits earned outside of the United States must have their existing coursework evaluated by the Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools (CGFNS) to determine if it is equivalent to the coursework requirements for this DNAP program.
Non-nursing coursework must be evaluated by any international credential evaluation organization that is a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES).
Contact us directly if you have any questions about the DNAP program or application process.