Our 30-credit hour program is designed to prepare you for a fulfilling career in a rapidly expanding industry, as evidenced by the success of our alumni. Graduates find themselves employed in sectors such as medical devices, diagnostics, pharmaceuticals, bio-agriculture, or continue their educational journey in professional fields (medical, dental, law) or pursue graduate studies. Our Master's in Biotechnology program equips you with the skills and knowledge to reach your bigger goals. Here's what you can expect:
Advanced Interdisciplinary Training: Dive deep into biotechnology, biology, biochemistry, and regulatory sciences, gaining a holistic understanding of this dynamic field.
Professional Development: Develop essential business and communication skills to prepare you for leadership roles in the biotech industry.
Student-Centric Research: Explore your interests through research opportunities, and enhance your experience with integrated internships and independent study coursework.
Personalized Mentorship: Receive guidance and support from nationally recognized faculty and industry experts, including corporate-level biotech executives from the thriving biotech sector.
The Master of Science (MS) in Biotechnology is an exceptional graduate-level program where advanced training in biotechnology, biology, biochemistry, and pharmaceutical sciences converges with high-value business acumen.
Hybrid program: 6 credits per semester
Required Credit Hours
30 credit hour
Return on Academic Investment
The average annual pay for the Biotechnology jobs category in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania is $106,464.
42%GROWTH IN ECOSYSTEM VALUE
Pittsburgh is ranked among the top emerging ecosystems globally, with its advanced manufacturing/robotics, life sciences and space tech sectors recognized.
Pittsburgh has a growing number of biotechnology companies specializing in areas such as pharmaceuticals, medical devices, diagnostics, and biomanufacturing. The industry has seen a 10% increase in employment from 2017-2021.
5,800+LIFE SCIENCES AND HEALTHCARE ESTABLISHMENTS
Pittsburgh has seen significant growth in its biotechnology sector. The city is home to a diverse range of biotech companies, research institutions, and startups.
Duquesne University’s Biotech Club is dedicated to fostering and assessing various
facets of the rapidly expanding field of biotechnology. Serving as a bridge between
academia and industry, our goal is to establish a sustainable and collaborative network
comprising students, faculty, alumni, and professionals in the life sciences. We embrace
individuals from diverse science backgrounds with connections to biotechnology.
Duquesne's Biotech Club
Hear From A student
Duquesne University’s Biotech Club is dedicated to fostering and assessing various facets of the rapidly expanding field of biotechnology. Serving as a bridge between academia and industry, our goal is to establish a sustainable and collaborative network comprising students, faculty, alumni, and professionals in the life sciences. We embrace individuals from diverse science backgrounds with connections to biotechnology.
The Application Process
Applying to the Program
Applying to the Biotechnology Program is a straightforward process through our online portal. To be eligible for admission to the program, all prospective students should provide the following:
- A completed online application form.
- A Statement of Purpose.
- Official transcripts from all prior colleges and universities attended.
- At least two Letters of Recommendation.
- An official GRE score report from the Education Testing Service.
- For non-native English speakers, submission of official scores from TOEFL, IELTS, or DuoLingo is required.
Financial Aid Information
- All program entrants are automatically reviewed for financial aid opportunities; there's no need for a separate application!
- Students maintaining a strong academic record (with a minimum GPA of 3.0) and enrolling in at least 6 credit hours per semester are eligible for a Special Financial Award, entitling them to a 25% reduction in graduate tuition.
- Additionally, each semester offers a limited number of Graduate Assistantships that come with a stipend.
- For outstanding achievements, the prestigious Bayer Fellowship Award is conferred annually to the program's top-performing students, comprising a scholarship and/or a stipend.
- BTGY 504 Regulatory Aspects of the Development of Medical Products (3 credits)
- BTGY 508 Biotechnology (3 credits)
- BTGY 509 Biotechnology Product Development (3 credits)
- BTGY 510 Independent Study in Biotechnology (2 credits)
- BTGY 512 Bioanalytical Chemistry (3 credits)
- BTGY 516 Cell and Molecular Biology l (3 credits)
- BTGY 574 Ethics in Biotechnology (1 credit)
- BTGY 600 Bioinformatics in Biotechnology and Medicine (3 credits)