Summer Semester Experience
The Gussin Spiritan Division's (GSD) dynamic five-week summer semester creates community and builds your skills to be academically successful
Get a head start.
Before the fall semester even begins, you will:
- Get a head start on their college experience
- Earn six college credits
- Get to know Duquesne professors
- Become familiar with campus and downtown Pittsburgh
- Make friends and get community support...even before school starts!
"I could explore my personal and academic interests while being supported by a staff that were truly invested in my success and my future. It really kick-started my academic and social life at Duquesne. And because of that, I felt more equipped and confident going into the fall semester."
-Brandon Stewart, Psychology major & Business Management minor
Summer 2021 Experience
The 2021 summer semester is a required residential component of the first-year program. The summer experience starts with parent-student orientation and move-in on Sunday, June 27, an awards ceremony on Thursday, July, 29, and ends on Friday, July, 30 with the last day of classes.
These summer courses help students to develop writing skills, techniques for better time management, note-taking, test preparation and test-taking:
- Bridges: Writing and Analysis (3 cr.)
Co-requisites: Writing and Analysis Seminar & Writing Clinic
- Bridges: Research and Information Skills (1 cr.)
Co-requisite: Research and Information Skills Lab
- Division Requirement: Strategies for Academic Success (1 cr.)
- Division Requirement: Introduction to University Success (1 cr.)
Appy Hours are a series of student and faculty lead fun activities that help students get to know and work with one another. The activities also help increase critical skills, such as active listening and organization, that benefit students while in college and for a lifetime.