Summer Semester Experience
Get a head start.
The Gussin Spiritan Division's (GSD) dynamic summer semester is a mandatory 5-week program that includes a 4-week online component from late June through late July (est. June 27 - July 24, 2020) as well as an on-campus, residential session that begins the week prior to orientation (est. August 9, 2020).
This first-year program creates community and builds the skills students need to be academically successful. Before the fall semester even begins, students will:
- Get a head start on their college experience
- Earn credits by taking two 1-credit classes
- Get to know Duquesne faculty
- Become familiar with campus and downtown Pittsburgh
- Make friends and get community support...even before school starts!
These GSD courses help students to develop computing skills as well as techniques for better time management, note-taking, test preparation and test-taking:
- Strategies for Academic Success
- Research and Information Skills
Appy Hours are a series of student—and faculty—lead fun activities that help students get to know and work with one another. The activities also help increase critical skills, such as active listening and organization, that not only benefit students while in college but for a lifetime.