Be Prepared for Anything
We know that acceptance into law school is not dependent on a particular undergraduate major. But we also know that the cutting-edge skills you'll develop in our 15-credit Pre-Law Certificate Program will successfully prepare you for law school, graduate public policy and foreign affairs programs, political careers and public service opportunities.
A Horizon-Expanding Education
At Duquesne, learning happens everywhere.
Duquesne University's Pre-Law Center is housed in the School of Law and is offered in cooperation with the multiple undergraduate schools and departments within the University. The program supports undergraduates in all disciplines who are exploring cutting-edge subjects that will prepare them for law school, graduate public policy and foreign affairs programs, political careers and public service opportunities inside and outside of government.
As a Pre-Law student, you'll have access to over 50 courses from multiple disciplines across the University, including business, English, philosophy and political science, that count toward a Pre-Law certificate. Students select from a menu of course offerings that expose them to key foundations and skills for law, government and public service. Completion of the Pre-Law Certificate requires a minimum of 15 credits in three out of four areas of emphasis. A student should also consider taking a course that builds oral communication skills.
We're Behind You, 100%
You'll have access to many resources that will help you succeed during your time on campus and beyond.
We take the responsibility of educating you seriously, and we do everything we can to help you succeed. You'll engage in experiences that will develop your research, analytical and advocacy skills and build foundational knowledge for legal, governmental and public service. And you'll learn to think critically, analyze deeply, communicate clearly and argue persuasively about important civil, legal and scholarly issues.
Open to undergraduates in all majors at Duquesne, our Pre-Law Certificate Program offers many benefits including:
- Earn a 15-credit certificate that shows on your official transcript, a desirable qualification for employment, law school admission and/or continued professional education.
- Gain access to the 3+3 Early Admissions Program if you are an exceptional student, scoring in the 60th percentile on your LSATs, and seeking to complete your undergraduate studies in three years to begin Duquesne's School of Law in your fourth year.
- Experience expedited consideration for admission into Duquesne's School of Law (a four-week turnaround from the date the completed application is submitted) if you successfully complete the certificate program with a 3.0 GPA or higher.
- Receive a $5,000 scholarship (in addition to other scholarships) upon enrollment into Duquesne's School of Law if you complete the certificate program with a 3.0 GPA or higher.
Academic Internship Opportunities
Our location in the heart of Pittsburgh will put you in the center of a city full of opportunities for gaining career experience. Students in our Pre-Law Program have found a wide range of internships throughout the region, including with:
- The Allegheny County Courthouse
- The Borgen Project
- Court of Common Pleas
- The Education Partnership
- U.S. and State Senators
- Members of Congress
- State Representatives
Our Graduates Get the Job Done
Whether you go to law school or jump right into the workforce, you'll have a bright future ahead of you.
Our Pre-Law Certificate graduates have gone on to work for leading companies, law firms, non-profits and public institutions, or have enrolled at law schools throughout the country, including:
- Arizona State University Sandra Day O'Connor College of Law
- Columbia Law School
- Duquesne University School of Law
- Emory University School of Law
- Villanova University Charles Widger School of Law
- Emory University School of Law
- Gonzaga University School of Law
- Northeastern University School of Law
- Penn State Law
"The key benefits of the Pre-Law Program were the small class sizes, which allowed me to meaningfully connect with my classmates and professors, and the opportunity to work closely with professors to edit my resume and personal statement in preparation for law school applications. The Pre-Law Program's professors also worked with me to ensure Emory's program best suited my interests and academic endeavors."
"I chose the Pre-Law Program because it offered me a chance to take a diversified list of selected classes to help prepare me for the law school experience. The classes in Duquesne's Pre-Law Program give you a great foundation to launch your law school career."
"The most stand-out attribute of the Pre-Law Program is the 3/3 Early Admissions Program and the program's partnership with Duquesne School of Law. Not all colleges and universities have a 3/3 option, and going through undergrad and law school so quickly has helped shape me into a more dedicated student."