Deadlines and Resources
Goldwater Scholarship Competition
The application for the 2022 Goldwater Scholarship competition will open on Tuesday September 7.
- September 7 - application portal opens
- October 8 - deadline for pre-application submission
- October 11-15 - review of pre-applications and initiate full applications from all eligible candidates in the online system
- November 30 - campus deadline for application and Research Essay
- December 1-17 - review of applications and Research Essays by campus committee
- December 21 - finalists notified of selection by internal committee
- January 28 - National deadline for applications
To be eligible for nomination for a Goldwater Scholarship, a student must:
1. Be a full-time matriculated sophomore or junior pursuing a degree at an accredited 2- or 4-year institution of higher education during the 2021-2022 academic year,
2. Intend to pursue a research career in a natural science, mathematics or engineering (as defined by NSF)
3. Have a college grade point average of at least a 3.00 on a 4.00 scale.
4. Be a U.S. citizen from the 50 states or the District of Columbia; a U.S. national for those students nominated by institutions in Puerto Rico, Guam, Virgin Islands, American Samoa, and Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands; or a permanent resident. A permanent resident must submit a photocopy of their Permanent Resident Card, also known as the Green Card.
Duquesne can select 4 students for final submission to Goldwater. A fifth student can be added if we have an appropriate candidate who is also a transfer student.