Tips for Success
Online students and faculty who teach online agree that online learning is rigorous and challenging to students in ways different from what students face in the traditional classroom. To find out if online learning is for you, consider the following "characteristics of successful online students" in relation to your approach to learning and your characteristics.
Manage your time, be organized and self-disciplined
While online courses are convenient and flexible because they typically do not have scheduled class meetings, you should devote as much time for studying, reading, working on assignments, and engaging with peers and the instructor as you would for classroom courses. Successful online students
- consciously schedule the time to complete their coursework;
- are well-organized and can effectively budget time to complete required course learning activities; and
- know how to "make time" for online coursework in their busy lives.
"The most significant challenge was learning how to be a fulltime employee and full-time doctoral student while balancing family responsibilities as well. Organization is essential because life does not stop when you begin this adventure." Angela D. Jones, 2013 Nursing graduate.
Be motivated, proactive, and committed to your learning
Learning, participation, and engagement in online courses mostly happen asynchronously, which means you, your peers, and your instructor are working on course activities at different times. Successful online students
- take responsibility for their work, meeting due dates for required weekly work while preparing for long-term assignments, independent research, and collaborative projects;
- ask questions of the instructor and their peers;
- participate in online discussions and check their course site periodically for updates, instructor feedback, and peer interaction; and
- are engaged, motivated, and self-disciplined during the course.
Communicate well in writing
Much of the work you do in an online course will require communicating your learning through writing. Successful online students
- are comfortable communicating in various forms of writing;
- are able to stay focused on the topic and question in their responses; and
- seek assistance proactively from tutors and the University's Online Writing Center if need be.
Have a place to study
Having a quiet place to study is very important to your success. Successful online students
- have a place with enough space for them to work on course activities that is a familiar and comfortable place to retreat to complete online work.
Contact your specific program of interest for further requirements, tuition and fees, and/or questions related to online learner expectations in that program.
What advice would you give to people considering this degree program?
"Take the time to communicate with the recruiters and become comfortable in the experience at Duquesne. Also, in preparation for the PhD, realize that creation of a schedule each semester will help you to evaluate the ability to balance the course of studies, work and home life." -- Ruth Irwin, Nursing PhD Graduate