Duquesne Arch
A A Email Print Share

M.S.Ed. in ESL Frequently Asked Questions

1. How long will it take to complete the M.S.Ed. program?

The completion of the M.S. Ed. program depends on a number of factors, including the background and needs of individual students. Many students complete the M.S. Ed. in 1½ - 2 years, but the entire M.S. Ed. can be completed in one year. Required courses are offered once either in the Fall, Spring, or Summer, so while there is some flexibility as to when students can take elective courses, ESL program courses are only offered once per year. However, students can enter the program on a rolling basis - either in the Fall, Spring, or Summer semesters.

2. Are there any requirements to apply for the M.S.Ed. program?

There is no prerequisite coursework or certification requirements to apply for the M.S. Ed. program. Students need to have at least a 3.0 GPA in previous undergraduate or graduate coursework to be admitted to the program. All international students with a degree from a non-English speaking institution must submit a TOEFL or an IELTS score.

3. How many credits is the M.S.Ed.?

The M.S. Ed. is a total of 30 credits of which 21(7 courses) are required courses and 9 (3 courses) are electives.

4. How much will tuition cost throughout the program?

Tuition is posted on the Admissions and Aid page. However, many full-time students (enrolled in at least 2 classes a semester) receive a 25% discount on tuition which makes our program cost-competitive with similar M.S. Ed. programs.

5. What are the main differences between the M.S.Ed. and certificate programs?

The M.S. Ed. is for any teacher who would like to teach in adult settings in the U.S. and/or adult and K-12 settings abroad. The PA state-approved ESL Specialist Certificate is for certified teachers who wish to teach ESL students in K-12 public schools in Pennsylvania. The TESOL Certificate is the minimum requirement to teach in language centers overseas.

6. How do I apply for the program?

To apply for the program:

a. Complete the online application
b. Submit official transcripts from undergraduate and/or graduate course work (minimum of 3.0 GPA required)
c. Submit statement of purpose - 1,000 words describing your academic and professional goals
d. All international students with a degree from a non-English speaking institution must submit a TOEFL or an IELTS score.
e. No GRE is required for this program

6. What financial aid options are available to students?

Full-time students may qualify for a 25% tuition scholarship. They may also apply for a Graduate Assistantship position. Requirements generally include research experience, good writing skills, and the ability to work independently and efficiently.

7. Do you offer evening or online courses?

We offer all of our program classes in the evenings, but we do not currently have program classes online. However, electives can be taken in a number of different areas, some of which offer online classes.

8. What are the average class sizes for this program?

Average class size for this program is around 15 students, which enables all students to receive individual attention in every course.

9. What are the potential job opportunities for graduates of the ESL M.S.Ed. and Certificate Programs?

Graduates from our program go into a number of different fields including:
• ESL teaching in K-12 public and private schools in the U.S. and internationally
• ESL/EFL teaching internationally and in the U.S. in language centers or university ESL classrooms
• Administration and curriculum development in educational organizations
• Advocacy for English learners and immigrant populations
• See some testimonials from our recent graduates

10. As an international student, am I eligible to apply to this program?

Yes, international students are encouraged to apply to our program! We have had students from over 10 different countries in our program including Brazil, Canada, China, England, Germany, Libya, Russia, Saudi Arabia, South Korea, and Turkey.

11. Does this program award a degree and/or certificate? If so, is that transferrable internationally?

While obtaining the M.S.Ed., students can apply for a PA ESL Specialist Certificate and/or a TESOL Certificate.
The PA ESL Specialist Certificate is for teachers who have obtained an Instructional I certificate in PA. The Specialist Certificate will transfer to many states who require ESL credentials for teachers who work with ESL students in K-12 public schools.
Many students add the TESOL Certificate to their M.S.Ed. degree. The TESOL Certificate is recognized both locally and abroad to be able to teach in language centers and other English-teaching venues.