Freshman Admission Requirements
- Minimum Q.P.A. of 2.5
- Composite math and verbal SAT score of at least 1,100 if the test was taken prior to March 2016. For tests taken March 2016 and later, a composite math and verbal SAT score of at least 1,170; or a composite ACT score of at least 24
- Minimum of seven units of math and science
- Evidence of extracurricular activities during high school
- Knowledge of the health management systems profession
It is strongly recommended that students begin shadowing or volunteer experience in high school to become more familiar with the profession.
Transfer Admission Requirements
Students may transfer into the program at any level, other than the freshman year, based upon their credentials, courses completed at other institution(s), courses yet to be completed prior to entry into the professional phase and space availability.
To apply as a transfer student, a minimum cumulative Q.P.A. of 2.75 is required.
Graduate Admission Requirements
In order to apply for admission, the following items must be submitted:
- Official transcripts of all previous college work. A 2.75 minimum GPA is required.
- Essay: All applicants must submit a typed, double-spaced essay. Competitive essays demonstrate an awareness of the field and are usually a maximum of three pages in length. Write about this topic: What are your career goals and how would the program to which you are applying assist you in achieving those goals?
- Three letters of recommendation. There is no form for recommendation letters, and they can be from any three sources.
- Current resume or CV
- Non-native English speakers will need to submit a TOEFL or IELTS score. English Language Proficiency Waiver Options:
- Waiver Option A: You have attended a U.S. high school that is regionally accredited in the U.S. for 3 or more years with a minimum cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) of 2.75 (on a 4 point scale).
- Waiver Option B: You have attended a U.S. regionally accredited college/university and have completed English 101 and 102 with a minimum 3.0 for each course and have 30 semester transferrable credits.
- Waiver Option C: You have attended a U.S. regionally accredited college/university and have completed an Associate of Arts, Associate of Science, a Bachelor of Arts or a Bachelor of Science degree with a minimum GPA of 2.75.
- Waiver Option D: You are a native of one of the following countries: Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, British Guyana, Canada, Great Britain, Ireland, Jamaica, Liberia, New Zealand, Trinidad, Tobago or Zambia.
- An interview with the department is highly recommended. They can be in-person, via phone or online (Skype, FaceTime,etc).
Students applying as freshmen, tranfser or graduate students should mail application materials to:
302 Health Sciences Building
600 Forbes Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15282