Instructions for Internal Transfer Students
In order to consider your intention to transfer into or change majors within the John G. Rangos, Sr. School of Health Sciences (RSHS), you are required to complete the following application materials:
Please complete and submit the Internal Transfer Application.
Deadlines - Fall - July 1; Spring - December 1
Applicant MUST submit a typed, double-spaced, critical self-evaluation essay including (a) why you became interested in the field and the program for which you are applying; (b) general work experience and any other experiences you wish to share; (c) honors you have received; (d) long-term professional goals. Competitive essays demonstrate an awareness of the field and are usually a maximum of three pages in length. Applicant may also include a resume or curriculum vita.
SAT or ACT scores are required for transfer students. Occupational Therapy and Physical Therapy students must have at least 1170 or better or a composite ACT of 24 or better. All other programs will consider applicants with a score greater than 1080 SAT (Math/Critical Reading) or 21 ACT, but preference is given to students who exceed 1170 or better or 24 ACT.
Experience Summary - Occupational Therapy and Physical Therapy Applicants
Provide a complete summary of all health care experiences in the applicant’s field of interest. The summary must indicate the facility name, supervisor’s name (including signature and licensure number where applicable), dates of experience(s), and types of responsibilities and/or observations.
- Occupational therapy applicants will be required to provide documentation of a minimum of 40 shadowing hours directly with a registered and licensed occupational therapist prior to entrance to the professional phase (December of the third year).
- Physical therapy applicants must include documentation of 100 volunteer hours in a minimum of two different clinical sites prior to admittance into the professional phase of the program fall of the fourth year).
Please return your essay and (if necessary) experience summary to:
302 Health Sciences Building
Pittsburgh, PA 15282
Or submit them to Chris via email.
You should discuss your intention to transfer or change majors with your current academic advisor and have him/her send an internal transfer form to the RSHS Office of the Dean, Room 302 Health Sciences Building. You must also submit any courses planned that do not appear on your transcript (for example, a planned summer course at another school). If your schedule changes after you submit your application you must contact Chris Hilf in the Office of the Dean immediately.
Following are guidelines for the evaluation of transfer credits.
- Only courses with a ‘C' or better will transfer. The University honors +/- grades, with the exception of C-,' which is unacceptable.
- Only those courses pertinent to the student's particular program will be transferred.
- Athletic Training Students: All science courses must be taken through a four-year accredited institution and may not be an online format.
- Occupational Therapy Students: All science courses must be taken through a four-year accredited institution and may not be an online format.
- PhysicalTherapy Students: All prerequisite courses (Biology I & II with labs, Chemistry I & II with labs, Physics I & II with labs, Introduction to Biostatistics, and Introduction to Psychology) must be taken through a four-year accredited institution. In addition, all science courses must be taken through a four-year accredited institution and may not be an online format.